Monday, January 7, 2008

In the still of the night, I hear the wolf howl, honey, sniffing around your door

I was watching an engaging documentary about William Cooper, the slain conspiracy theorist, earlier today, and there was a section in it about his thoughts on the Kennedy assassination that blew my mind. First, let me say that I've never been sold on William Cooper. He seemed a little too unhinged and changed his stance on issues a little too often for me to believe. An intriguing man, nonetheless, and hence why I watched the documentary. Ok, on to the Kennedy part.

Cooper was shown saying the driver of the Kennedy's limo delivered the final head shot and that it is easy to see on the Zapruder film. I'd heard that theory before and put very little stock in it. If it was true, no Commission in the world, Warren or otherwise, would've been able to cover that up. And I've read numerous books on the assassination and none of them covered that particular theory. As Cooper spoke, they showed the Zapruder film, with a closeup on the driver. I was stunned at what I saw. Indeed, it looked as if the driver had spun around and shot Kennedy in the head. There was the gun and there was Kennedy's head jerking back. I watched it several times and, with each viewing, I became more and more convinced that the driver shot him. How could this be, though? Why was there even a debate about a lone gunman when there was the Zapruder film clearly showing the limo driver shooting Kennedy in the head?

I did some laundry and thought about what I had seen. I had the nagging sense that the driver, despite appearances, did not shoot Kennedy. But it sure looked like he did. I went on Youtube and found some clips that showed clearly that the limo driver did nothing more than turn around. What had looked like a gun in the other clip, was proven to be light reflecting on the passenger's head.

Here's a clip promoting the limo driver theory:



And here's one disproving it:



Interesting how you can see things one way, especially if you're told what you're seeing ahead of time, and then, if looked at another way, what you've seen isn't really what you saw. I can't put it any simpler than that, so don't bother asking.
--

Watched The Wild Bunch last night and really enjoyed it. Made me want to read Lonesome Dove, a book I've been meaning to read for some time now. At Thanksgiving, my uncle Gene started talking about the book, and what began as a brief summary, quickly transmogrified into a Homeresque retelling of the story. Fortunately,I was able to remove myself from the room before I heard too much. I felt like saying to him, "Hey Gene, know why McMurtry told that story? So you wouldn't have to." Not for nothing, but I told him I hadn't read the book and was planning on reading it soon. Wouldn't you think he'd skimp on the spoilers? I'll get even with that son of a bitch. Here's my getting even fantasy:

Gene: So, after years of putting it off, I'm finally going to watch The Sixth Sense.

me: You've gone all this time without hearing how it ends?

Gene: Any time the movie came up in conversation, I'd block my ears or leave the room.

me: Still, though, it would seem to me that by now the film's big surprise would have been revealed to you.

Gene: Nope, I still don't know the surprise.

me: Everyone knows the surprise. You must have overheard it somewhere. On Tv, the radio, somewhere.

Gene: Guess I was lucky.

me: You must be looking forward to watching it, I imagine.

Gene: Oh, yeah. Can't wait. I'm dying to know what all the fuss was about.

me: Seems odd to me that you waited this long.

Gene: That's what everyone says, but there you have it.

me: I think you've seen it.

Gene: I'm telling you I haven't seen it.

me: You're a fucking liar!

my mother: Kevin!

me: I think you've seen it and you're trying to bait me into revealing the surprise.

Gene: What? Why would I do.....

me: Last time we were hear you tried to ruin Lonesome Dove for me. You knew I was planning on reading it, but you couldn't keep your god-damned mouth shut about it! Now, you're trying to get me to do the same thing to you regarding The Sixth Sense. You want me to look bad in front of everyone, but I'm too clever for you, aren't I, you wretched son-of-a-bitch?

Gene: Look, I apologize if I ruined the book for you. It wasn't my intention to do that. However, I will not sit here and be accused....

me: What was your intention, then?

Gene: What?

me: You heard me. What. Was. Your. Intention?

Gene: I-I don't know. Guess I was just making conversation.

me: That's bullshit, but whatever. Anyway, I'm not going to play your little game, so don't worry. I'm not going to spoil The Sixth Sense for you.

Gene: Well, thank you, I guess.

me: Say "Thank you, Sir."

Gene: Thank you, Sir.


I hope this fantasy comes true, but it probably won't. Everyone's seen the Sixth Sense.

No comments: