Monday, January 28, 2008

Blood on the rise, it's following me

Watched No Country For Old Men today and it lived up to my high expectations. Every aspect of the film was pleasing, though given the grim subject matter, pleasing might not be the operative word here. Maybe engrossing is more apt. Or captivating. Whichever, it's the best movie I've seen in a while. The antagonist, Anton Chigur, who the movie revolves around, or more he revolves around it, like the black shroud of death, makes Hannibal Lechter look like a swell guy. After the movie was over, I realized it wasn't about a drug deal gone bad or greed, but about the living nightmare of Anton Chigur and his almost supernatural ability to hunt down his prey with slow and exacting precision. The film doesn't take the easy way out, which is good because if it ended like a typical Hollywood movie, the lingering unease I felt well after it ended would have been absent, and as odd as it may sound, I wouldn't want to be deprived of it. A movie that has the ability to quietly haunt you after the credits roll has done its job.
--

Spent Saturday night with Janelle in Lowell. We got some Brazilian food and went to Brew'd Awakening for some coffee afterwards. We must have been twice the age of the kids hanging out there and when we walked in they must have thought the same thing, judging by the look they gave us. If Janelle hadn't reminded me that, though we were older than them, we were still hipper, it would have been a bummer.

Lowell was like a ghost town that night, which was strange. Maybe everyone decided to stay in for the night. Oh, well, they're all assholes, anyway. It was great seeing Janelle. She is one of the great ones and I'm lucky to have her in my life.
--

Tonight I'll watch Blade Runner for the first time ever. I've seen bits and pieces of it before, but for some reason it's taken me this long to see it. I'll be watching the directors cut and I hear it's an improvement over the original.

Enough of me; I'm all tapped out. I'm off to ponder why I can't stop watching Celebrity Rehab when it's on, even though it represents everything I hate about our culture. I'm awash in contradiction, but aren't we all.

No comments: