Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm just a station on your way, I know I'm not your lover

Karen stopped by work yesterday to see how things were shaping up and I figured she'd be unhappy with what she found. I figured wrong. That is not to say she was thrilled---I don't think I'll ever see her that way---but due to my colossal efforts in getting people to actually work, the place looked good and she had few complaints. A small and satisfying victory.

I was fatigued and hungry when I came home from work, but still accepted an invitation from Spira to attend her cousin Maria's birthday party in Maynard. I had to forgo dinner for a while---there was to be a big spread at the party---and quickly take a shower in order to get ready in time.

I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of attending a family party. I had visions of people hanging around in sweaters, talking about their mortgages and babies. Not my scene, that, especially on a Saturday night, but I've met some of Spira's cousins before and they were pretty cool, so I figured there'd be a fair chance I'd have a decent time.

Well, there was definitely talk of mortgages and babies at the party, but it wasn't all that was talked about. I knew going into it that I'd be on my own, that Spira would be locked in various conversations throughout the night, so I did my best to mingle. I did ok, but for a good amount of the time I sat in the living room watching the college basketball on mute.

Later on, when some people had left, I got into an in depth conversation about Fonzi with Maria's husband Billy and his cousin Chris. It was the type of conversation I wish I had gotten into earlier on in the evening. Better late than never, I guess. Anyway, for about a half hour we explored the idea that the Fonz was actually a lowly sort and not the hero that he was portrayed to be. And for some reason we talked about the dynamics in the Riggs/Murtaw relationship in the Lethal Weapon movies. Chris's impression of Murtaw was top rate. "I'm gettin' too old for this shit, Riggs."

One last thing about the party. When we arrived, Spira looked at cousin Michael and said "Wow, look at those tits on you!" He was wearing a fairly tight yellow sweater and by god, did he have a pair of tits on him. I'm gonna say they were C's. I scolded Spira over her comment in the car on the way home. She said her family always talks to each other like that. "You don't think he was embarrassed by your remark?", I asked. "Not at all", she responded. "So, if he had said to you, in front of everyone, "Wow, look at that camel toe on you, you'd take it in stride?" She said she would. Anyway, even though I think Michael was a little hurt by the titty comment, I thought it was kind of funny that she said it.

No comments: