Monday, April 21, 2008

When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind

As expected, the Celtics brutalized the Hawks at the Garden last night. KG brought his insanity level up a few notches for the occasion, scoring and rebounding at will, chattering constantly like a subway derelict, and, along with Sam Cassell, pounding on Leon Powe's chest, after Powe schooled Josh Smith at the rim with a crushing dunk. KG continued barking in Powe's ear well after the play was over. The Hawks watched this display with jaws agape. It will be looked upon as the exact moment when they realized there was absolutely no way they were going to win the series, that they were dealing with a force of nature in KG, and the Perfect Storm of a team in the Celtics. If the Hawks take a game in this series, it will be a miracle of the highest order. I'm not a betting man, but I predict a sweep.

And the Bruins have forced a game 7 with Montreal, which I don't think anyone, even the Bruins, could have seen coming. I convinced Spira to watch game 6 with me on Saturday night, and I'm glad she consented because it was an amazing game. I look forward to tonight, when the B's will attempt to force one of the biggest chokes since the last time these two teams met in the playoffs. The Bruins were the ones who choked in that series, so this would be all the more sweeter if they win the series.
--
Netflix screwed up and sent me a couple of extra movies. One of them, Shoot 'Em Up, starring Clive Owen, I think I'll watch today. I need to finish watching The Tracker first, which, so far, has been a strange film, one I'm not sure I gel with. I do, however, appreciate its mystery and originality.

Old Joy was haunting and lyrical with beautiful imagery throughout and good acting. I've never seen a film with Will Oldham, one of my favorite songwriters, before, and I was duly impressed with his seemingly effortless performance.

I tried explaining the film to Mara, the woman I asked out the other night, but I didn't do a very good job. My description of it got all knotted up. I couldn't believe I had a difficult go at explaining such a simple, Zen-like film. It was actually a comical scene, albeit at my expense.The fact that she didn't excuse herself immediately afterwards is a good indication that she'll be able to, at least in doses, tolerate my sometimes frustrating ways. Ah, but you know, she'll be in the company of a guy with a pure heart, so how bad could it be?

No comments: