Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Sons of the Silent Age make love only once, but dream and dream

Busy day at work today. Also frustrating--at least early on-- but I rebounded and the rest of the day went pretty well. Since it was one of the busiest days of the spring, Gio called out and I was stuck with Larry, who's not at the top of the list of drivers I'm confident in. He came to work this morning straight from his night job and though he was bragging to me about how he doesn't need much sleep and is able, due to his superior constitution, to subsist on only a few hours of it a week, by midday he was nearly catatonic and a real downer.

I accompanied him on the last few deliveries of the day and he was either completely silent or complaining about how tired he was the entire time. After repeatedly failing to strike up a conversation with him, I decided he wasn't worth the effort and sunk happily inward to attend to my extremely vivid and wondrous imagination.

One of our stops was at MIT and Larry parked the truck in front of the building at the bus stop. As we made our way towards the building, some kid started jawing at us about having to move the truck. If he hadn't come off as a pretentious weasel, I probably wouldn't have been as curt with him as I was. "Ok, where would you like us to park?", I asked him.

He looked around and when he didn't see any spots available, responded with, "Well, you can't park here."

Larry, still crabby, broke his silence and said "What the fuck does it matter to you where I park my truck?"

The kid, not wanting any part of Larry, clammed up and walked away. The kid had a point, though. I didn't want us to get towed, so once we found out where we were picking up, I had Larry drive around back and I found us a loading dock. I left him in the truck with his misery while I traversed the bowels of MIT looking for a way up to the room we needed to get to. On my way, I walked by a chalk board and solved a really difficult problem that was written on it. One of the professors came out of his classroom and, after seeing what I had done, called after me, but I told him to fuck off and went on my way. Yeah, I solved a problem none of his spazzy nerd students could solve. How do you like them apples?
--
I had some terrible dreams this morning before my alarm saved my ass and woke me up. Alas, I can't remember what happened in them. They faded as quickly as breath on a mirror.
--
Rick, our landlord's brother came by this evening and looked at our boiler with Rich. He said he's going to order a new one for us. I can't wait for this to happen. To once again have effective water pressure and options other than freezing and scalding as far as water temperature is concerned, will be a renaissance.
--
I was watching the Office (UK) last night and my dvd started skipping and pixilating through one of the best scenes of the series. It happened during David Brent's motivational speech in front of a group of strangers. It was the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Besides punching the wall and crying, I didn't do much of anything after that.
--
I'm beat, so you'll have to wait until another day to hear me riff on cream pie's. And in case you're wondering, I am absolutely not referring to the dessert. Stay tuned.

No comments: