Monday, April 7, 2008

Though nothing will drive them away, we can be Heroes just for one day

Did my taxes and had lunch with my mother today. Going out to eat with her is often a wince-inducing experience. I love my mother---she's a sweet, caring woman---but when she steps into a restaurant, something demonic and terrible is unleashed in her.

Even at places she likes (there is only one---Luigi's in Bedford), there will be at least two aspects of the dining experience that she'll complain about, and usually to the unfortunate person waiting on us.

So, at The 99 today, we hadn't even sat down yet before she lodged two complaints. As the hostess led us to a table and set our menus atop it, my mother snapped, "I want a booth". The hostess obliged her and gathered the menus off the table and brought us to a booth. Once we were seated mother said with sardonic bite, "Of course we have to be sat all the way in the back. Wouldn't want to sit us at one of the empty tables up front". The hostess, who I'm sure couldn't wait to be done with my mother and tell her coworkers what a bitch she was, said, with as much politeness as she could muster, "I'm sorry, but we have a specific way we arrange seating".

When she left, I tried explaining to my mother what the hostess meant, but I knew it would have no effect. I silently hoped no one would spit in our food as I perused the menu. It was a good meal (I had the fish tacos) and my mother only complained a few more times about the service (When our waitress took our plates off the table well after we finished eating, my mother, in earshot of the waitress, said "She's trying to hurry us out of her so can seat more people. I looked around at all the empty tables and replied, "Uh, I'm not so sure about that. Her other complaints were about how drafty it was---one of her staples---and me getting the wrong drink, even though I didn't).

All in all, I enjoyed myself. Despite my less than flattering description of my mother's actions, I enjoy spending time with her. We've always had a special bond---even when we hated each other during my "difficult" years---and I love her a lot.
--
After my morning run yesterday, I started cleaning our kitchen. Craig offered his help and the two of us spent the next few hours going to town. We were thorough in our work and it shows. Feels good having a clean kitchen.
--
Our boiler has been leaking for well over a month and consequently, our water pressure and temperature has been off-kilter. We notified our landlord when we discovered the problem, but she said she couldn't afford to have the boiler fixed or replaced at that time.

Unfortunately, the boiler didn't heal from its injuries and the problem has persisted. We received our gas bill the other day and it was nearly double what we had paid last month, so Craig called our landlord and basically told her we weren't going to pay most of the bill. She told him not to pay it. From that, I gathered she was going to take steps to remedy the situation.

Rich spoke to our landlord's brother around the same time Craig spoke to the landlord. And today Rich informed me he called our landlord and explained to her the urgency of the situation. She told him her brother would be by in a day or two to assess the problem.

Rich told me if she doesn't move on this soon, he's going to tell her we're all moving out. I understand his need for action---the situation requires it---I'm just not sure I want him speaking for the household concerning matters we haven't discussed. He may have spoken with Craig about moving out and they may have both agreed that they would, but I wasn't part of that discussion.

As I stated, I understand the situation calls for urgency, which means staying on top of our landlord and making sure something is done about the boiler,which if unserviced will most likely go on us. However, I'm of a mind to consider our landlord's point of view. She's elderly and lives alone . According to her, she depends greatly on our rent checks every month to get by, and even then it's just barely. Whether that's true, I have no way of knowing, but from my experience with her, it would seem to be.

For where we live, our rent is considerably low, a fact all of us appreciate. If she was inclined, she could raise the rent substantially. She hasn't and says she wont. For that reason we've been patient with her about things in our house not getting fixed promptly . So, yes, the current situation requires urgency, but I don't believe it necessitates strong arm tactics. And I'm afraid, especially where Rich is concerned, that is the approach that will be put forth.

I spoke to him a little bit about my concerns and I could tell he didn't like what I was saying. All I told him was that I wanted to give her a chance, now that she was enlightened about the gas bill and the rapidly-declining boiler, to do something about it. I completely understand his anger and frustration---I feel it, too; just not as intensely.

Our landlord is probably going to need to buy a new boiler and they are not cheap. If she doesn't have the money to pay for it, she's going to have to figure something out. I'm willing to work with her on that, and I think the guys are too, as long as progress is being made. If I had the sense that she didn't give a shit about what was going on I would be more in Rich's camp, but I don't. Hopefully, things will work out to every one's satisfaction. If not, I see trouble on the wind.
--
Ok, I've got to get back shopping for Suri Cruise pictures online. And I'm crossing my fingers that Amazon will have a signed copy of her biography, which I'm absolutely dying to read!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A Gas boiler serviceprovides heat, while thermal shading screens helps to avoid heat loss at night. Humidity is maintained as required ‐ with relative humidity in the tropical area ‐ by an automatic misting system.