Friday, April 18, 2008

And I will be alone again tonight with you

Went to the Somerville Museum last night to attend an exhibit of local artists. Spira and our friend Sarah each had a painting on display-- both very good, by the way -- and it was nice seeing their efforts being appreciated by the public. Wine and various food items were offered and, had I known I was going to be there a while, I would not have taken the course of abstention. Later on, as the din subsided and people made their way home, I looked at the table with all the empty wine bottles and food platters with regret. But, I was also in the process of asking a woman out on a date, so the regret was short-lived. I see I'm getting ahead of myself. Allow me to back track a bit.

Before we went to the museum, Spira and I hung out at her apartment and waited for her new boyfrie....no, too soon....uh, her new dating partner.....no, no, no, sounds too strange......ok, I've got it--- her new BFF. So we waited for her BFF, Sean, to arrive, and when he did, we walked over to the museum and met Sarah there.

There was a lot of art on display and I silently admired how it was presented. I walked around by myself for a while and then met up with Sarah and was introduced to one of her friends who she'd been talking to. Turns out, this woman was the one who hung all the art. I complimented her on the job she'd done and told her that I had just been admiring her work, even though it probably sounded like I had said it just to be nice.

I proceeded to ask her a ton of questions that had been on my mind. In no particular order, here's a sampling: 1. When you were in the process of displaying all of this stuff, did you drop anything? 2. And if you did drop something and damage it, what would you tell the artist? 2a. Or would you keep silent? 3. Have you noticed anyone criticizing someone's work and the artist overhearing it? 4. Were there any restrictions concerning what the artists could submit?

I'll let you guess at how she answered because, for National Security reasons, I can't divulge what she said. Anyway, we talked for a while and I was a little surprised that we stuck together for as long as we did. Usually, women get their fill of me after a couple of minutes. At one point, she gave me a guided tour of the sub-par submissions, which I was ecstatic about because I knew for a fact that I was the only one privileged enough to receive such a service.

As the night progressed, I was again surprised to find that I was still hanging out with her. Spira and Sean had left (on their way out, Spira came up to me with a big conspiratorial smile and said, "I thought you wanted to leave early to go watch the Bruins?") I hadn't really thought much about asking this woman out, but everything was pointing in that direction, so I gave it some consideration.

She introduced me to some of the artists. One of them, a guy named Tasker, was a glass blower and I asked him a welter of questions regarding his craft. Then we talked about his Swiss Army timepiece and how he should wear it near his heart so that, if he ever got shot, it would save his life. I told him to wear it over his throat if I was around, because that's where I would shoot him.

After pretty much everyone had left, she announced that she was going to go home. And that's when I asked her out. She said yes and took me downstairs so that she could give me a business card with her number on it. I walked outside with her and we parted ways. Not a bad night.
--
I had a busy, busy day at work and I'm too tired to write about some of the strange stuff that went down. Maybe I'll get to it another time. Oh, in case you're wondering, I did manage to catch the third period of the Bruins game and got to see them beat the habs. Of course, now there's another game on Saturday, when I have plans. Oh, well, maybe I'll get to watch some of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.