Friday, April 25, 2008

Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free

It's funny how things happen in life. A number of things had gone right for me today at work. I was expecting a shipment to arrive from UPS that had to go out this afternoon, and it arrived this morning. And since I was the one who had placed the order--an involved assembly of pipe and drape-- I was pleased that there were no errors. And there were a few other orders that went well, too. By 12:00, I felt like I had the day in hand. Everyone was working well together and even Kim was nice towards me.

As I drove home for lunch, I didn't allow myself to be too happy, though. I've conditioned myself ---and, believe me, I'd rather have it otherwise--- to always be suspicious when things seem to be going too well. Though I was having a good day, and though it seemed my job was safe, at least for another week, I still didn't feel right about my place there. Every time Kim or someone else got on the phone with Karen, I had the strong feeling they were talking about me.

My gut has served me well, as true as a compass. When it tells me something is amiss, it's usually right. I knew, from the way Karen and some of my coworkers had been acting, that I wasn't long for Taylor Rental. So when Karen pulled into the parking lot around two thirty, I was almost positive that I was going to be let go.

She came inside and Kim made herself scarce. Gio had just come in from a tent job and said he needed help on it. I tested the waters and volunteered to help set it up. Karen immediately said no, and that was when I knew for sure that I was done.

She then addressed me and told me that last week someone had called to place an order for delivery right before we closed and that I told them we were about to close and didn't have any drivers available. And then I guess I told them to try calling Taylor Rental in Arlington, since that's where they were calling from.

It was for this type of thing that Karen had wanted to fire me over in December. I told Karen I didn't remember this particular incident (and I still don't) , not in an effort to salvage my job, but to state the simple truth. Karen responded that she knew for a fact that the incident occurred and I wasn't going to argue with her about it. No point. She handed me an envelope with my last check and told me to give my keys to Gio.

I smiled to myself at her feeling the need to have Gio there, as if I was going to freak out on her. I've been nothing but relaxed and civil with Karen from day one, but I guess she didn't want to take any chances.

I left in silence. No goodbyes, except a quick one to Gio, who has seen so many people get fired there that he acted nonplussed. As I walked out the door, I heard Karen utter a soft "take care, Kevin". I didn't bother replying.

When I got in my car, I looked in the envelope she gave me and inside was a week's amount of pay. She had advanced me some money way back, so I didn't get my full two weeks worth. Fucking great.

Yes, I am screwed financially. Paying over four hundred dollars for car related bullshit this past week doesn't help my situation. And neither does the small paycheck. Still, though, at least I've got the tax gift from Uncle Sam coming in the mail. That should help.

Yes, it's funny how things happen in life. I just secured a date with Mara for tomorrow night and now I'm jobless. I can't tell if I'm on the cusp of some good changes in my life---different, better job/possible girlfriend--- or if this is the universe fucking with me. I'm inclined to think it's not, because if it is, well, hell, I might as well just stop living, because who wants to live in a world like that?

Without doubt, I needed to leave this job. The fact that I got fired will not look good on my resume , but I'm pretty sure I'll find a better job than this one regardless. In the end, I'm happy to see the back of that place. I won't be part of the insanity of the summer--I'll leave that to Kim, who is probably excited at my departure, and the rest of the fools---and that is a great relief.

I put in a lot of hard work there. I stayed late many times, despite Karen's judgment that I wouldn't go the extra mile, and I tried to do my best. No one will convince me otherwise. My send off was insulting, but I wasn't offended. I didn't leave in disgrace; I left victorious and relieved. I am better than that place. Yes, I am.

I don't expect the coming days to be easy, but at least I'm out of that den of vipers. I will look hard for a job and I will find one. I will remain positive and proactive. And I will, at least for a day or two, not fret about my sudden hardship.

I'm still absorbing the blow of being fired, but it's a nice day and a run should help my outlook. It's a little scary, my situation, but I believe I'll be the better for it. I sure hope so.

No comments: