Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Swing down sweet chariot, stop and let me ride

On the heels of a productive day at work yesterday, I went in this morning almost, I say almost, with a spring in my step. I wasn't there an hour when Karen came in unexpectedly and things went awry.

Have you ever had an experience that felt scripted? That, no matter how hard you try to sway events a certain way, they remain frustratingly rigid on their preordained path? Well, today that happened to me. Everything seemed to work against me while Karen was in. Even my thoughts and actions actively betrayed my better judgment. If I screw up 5% of the time at work, that 5% represented itself fully during the small window of time Karen was there. I half expected her to fire me, and the way things were going, I probably wouldn't have blamed her.

And to make things more interesting, I was nursing a sore throat that became so painful I could barely talk. I was convinced I was coming down with something. Rich has been sick for a week and a couple of people at work have been, too. It's never a good time to get sick, but c'mon, did I have to start getting sick on a day like today?

Remarkably, though, I felt much better after lunch. My sore throat had dwindled to the point of non existence and things started going my way a bit more. I left work wondering what the fuck that day was all about.

My throat is a wee bit sore right now and I feel a tad fatigued. Maybe I do have something. I think it's probably allergies, though I don't know if I'm allergic to anything. Whatever it is, I'm glad it's leaving my body.

Well, that's all the boring stuff you're going to get out of me tonight. I am tired and need to relax (I almost wrote chill-ax, but I sensed you'd never forgive me if I did).

No comments: