Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'm waiting for you in the gloom and the blazing

I awoke shortly after four o'clock this morning to the dull throbbing of music coming from somewhere in the house. All I heard were two notes favoring the low end of the spectrum. Duum dooom, duum dooom, dum dooom, over and over again. I managed to fall back asleep, but only for about fifteen minutes before I awoke again to the insistent pulse of duum dooom, duum dooom, duum dooom.

How could this song still be playing, I asked myself. I questioned whether it was a song at all. Maybe it was from my fan or computer. Maybe I was imagining it. As curious as I was, I needed to go back to sleep. I wasn't feeling so hot earlier in the evening and I tried to make a point to get as much sleep as possible. The way things were shaping up, my plan wasn't going to come to fruition. So, I put on my sound machine in an attempt to drown out the throbbing bass notes coming from who the hell knew where.

Didn't work. A little after five, I got up to investigate. I went out in the hallway and discovered where the sound was coming from---Craig's room. I determined that he had fallen asleep while watching a dvd and when whatever he was watching (my guess was Legally Blond, his all time favorite movie besides K-9) had finished, the menu reappeared and looped the fuck out of a piece of music from the film.

I knocked on his door, but he didn't respond. I heard him snoring and I knocked again. No response, just snoring. I thought about banging louder (that's what she said), but I didn't want to wake Rich up (See how considerate I am? That's what having a pure heart does for you, bitches). I went back to my room and banged on the wall a couple of times. Nope. Nothing.

At this point, it was getting close to six and I was going to have to get up soon. I got out of bed and banged on the wall again. This was to be my last attempt at waking Mr. Stilskin. And you know what? It worked! He got up, turned the tv off and went downstairs to the bathroom to rid himself of some waste his body had accumulated. That was all well and good, but it was too late to go back to sleep, so I hung out in bed for a few minutes before getting up. I'm not going to lie to you, I was pretty effing tired.

Craig and I laughed about the whole thing earlier this evening. I guess the experience was a karmic debt I had to pay because not so long ago I fell asleep to an Alan Partridge dvd that, when the menu reappeared, kept looping the chorus to Abba's Knowing Me, Knowing You. Rich had to suffer through it before I finally woke up and shut it off. I guess if it was a karmic debt, it would make more sense if Craig was the one disturbed by the sound and not Rich, but I'm too tired to argue with you about it, ok? Just leave it be.
--
If I'm not mistaken, The Office is back from its hiatus and there will be a new episode tonight. I may end up missing it because I can't get NBC in my room and when I asked Rich if he any designs on the TV , he said he was thinking about watching the Bruins. I had the same idea, but The Bruins always let me down and The Office never has.

I've been watching The Office (UK) and the more I watch it, the more I realize how truly genius it is. It is one of the most perfectly constructed shows I've ever seen. I am hoping Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant put out a new show soon because I need more funny. How I Met Your Mother is just not cutting it.
--
I thought of her today and wondered if she knows. Something tells me she does, but what the fuck do I know? Maybe instead of sitting in my car in front of her place every night, I should go knock on her door and tell her what's what. Nah, that would be creepy.

No comments: