Sunday, February 3, 2008

All I heard was the sound of the world coming down at me

The Patriots just lost the Super Bowl and I'm certain that I'm one of the few people in New England who isn't ready to take a razor blade to his wrists (remember folks, it's not across the road, but down the street when you apply the blade). I'm actually happy for the Giants, who accomplished what no one thought they would. And I'm also happy, merry and mirthful even, that everyone can now focus their attention on The Celtics. I'm kidding---there's no way that's going to happen. We're in for at least a couple of weeks of doom and gloom Patriot fans coming out the wood work, explaining to anyone who'll listen that the Pats lost because Brady's ankle injury was more severe than anyone thought and he shouldn't have been following his model girlfriend around, boot or no boot, and we should now trade him and most everyone else on the team because they now suck real fuckin' bad. And once the ashes of this Apocalypse have settled, it'll be time to start reporting Manny and Cinco Ocho sightings down if Florida. No, I don't think there will be room for the C's in the coming days. For that to happen, a big story will have to emerge, like the discovery that Paul Pierce was caught on film giving Kobe Bryant a Rusty T in the locker room before a game. Not impossible, that: I read somewhere that they were BFF's.
--

On Saturday, Bill wouldn't talk to Gio and when Gio asked him why, Bill replied, "Because you ratted me and Kevin out to Karen last week. Why did you do it?" According to Bill, who is prone to severely embellish, Gio responded by saying, "Because why not!That's why!"

Now, I have no idea how it actually went down---throughout the day, I heard several versions of the confrontation from Bill, each one more elaborate than the last and each one showcasing his absolute dominance over Gio---and I didn't care. I was fed up with all the infighting and tried to focus on the job at hand. Gio was so pissed at Bill he insisted on going solo on a couple of big jobs. I let him---at least he'd be working and, more importantly, he'd be out of the shop and away from Bill.

Karen came in at one point and addressed the original incident, the one that sparked the exchange between Bill and Gio, with me. She told me what I said the week prior was disgusting and that you just can't say things like that to a coworker. I told her that in context what I said wasn't disgusting---sarcastic and edgy, maybe, but not disgusting. I told her it was a slip up and I'd be more vigilant over what I say in the future. And, just because he's a mixer, I told Karen Gio's as guilty as anyone when it comes to salty language. That put the capstone on this ridiculous affair. I don't care what happens from here on out, I will not return to the matter even a little bit. It was absurd from the get go and went on for way too long; kind of like the Presidential debates.
--

It dreamed to me , as Kaspar Hauser would have put it, that I was asked by a certain woman to marry her. It was surprising, scary, and it felt good to know someone regarded me well enough to spend her life with me. I woke up feeling a little empty; I was alone, single, and the odds of being proposed to were slim. I went through my day with the dream hanging diaphanous in my vision. I dreamed about her again later on that night, though I can't recall much of it. Probably better that way.
--
I'm going to listen to some Nina Simone and then watch Dracula on Google video. Either that, or I'll play some music and read from Lonesome Dove. Well, whatever I do, it's time to get started.

No comments: