Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lies and betrayals, fruit covered nails

Ok, I said I'd relate the Kim story, so here it it. I'm not sure it's worth even the small amount of hype that preceded it, but I'll let you be the judge. At the very least, it will occupy some of the massive amount of time you have at your disposal to waste.

At work this past Saturday, Kim went on a bank run for me around 8:30. She returned around nine and I asked her why it took her so long (it should only take a half hour at most, round trip). She responded that she had to wait for the bank to open. Oh, and her daughter had called her on her cell and told her she was throwing up. Why this would lengthen her trip to the bank, I don't know. Maybe she was hanging out in the parking lot at the bank, talking her daughter through her ordeal.

Whatever caused her to take so long ceased to matter once she brought up her daughter being sick. I knew, that no matter what, she would be leaving shortly, even though she said she told her daughter she couldn't leave work. Kim sat at the computer for a minute or two and I could see the wheels spinning in her head. She was plotting her escape. I asked her if she had the bank receipts and she said they were in her car. I was on my way outside anyway to clear snow off a couple of Penske trucks and offered to get them for her and she told me her doors were locked. I made a mental note not to forget the receipts because Karen had just emphasized the day before how important it was that I kept a record of all bank transactions.

As I was clearing off one of the trucks, Kim came running out in a panic and told me her daughter was freaking out and she had to go attend to her. I knew she was going to bail, but I figured she'd at least wait until I came back in. Kim has a history of flimsy excuses, so I didn't exhibit too much concern over her daughter. She said she'd try to come back later, but I knew I wouldn't see her. And I didn't. I also wasn't able to get the deposit receipts from her.

On Monday, Karen called me at home and asked me if Kim had made it to the bank on Saturday. I told her she did, and Karen told me the money didn't show up in her account. It was then that I recalled that one of the deposits was over 1800 dollars in cash. Uh oh. Karen told me not to say anything to Kim about it when I saw her the next day.

Before Kim came into work on Tuesday, Gio told me Karen had Kim come into work to explain to her what happened on Saturday. Apparently, Kim had changed her story several times, with the end result being that she never made it to the bank. She gave the cash back to Karen and, since I've been working with her all week, Kim didn't lose her job.

Karen has yet to fill me in on what happened and I'm not sure why. Maybe she thinks I'm involved in Kim's sneaky behavior somehow. I'm curious to know what really happened. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an innocent mistake, forgetting to make the deposit and holding on to all that cash over the weekend. No, she was up to something, but how in the hell did she expect to get away with it, whatever "it" may have been. I'll have to probe Karen about this when I have a chance, but considering she didn't volunteer the information to me, I wonder if she'll be forthcoming.
--

It's time to watch the Celtics play the Cavs. I'll probably only watch some of it because there are other, more essential, matters for me to take care of.

No comments: