Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You've got to be cruel to be kind

I had one of the worst nightmares I've had in a long time last night. In it I was staying at a friend's house---a huge, gothic manse---and one night we were on his lap top watching a You Tube video of a guy with a milky, maggoty, complexion dressed entirely in black standing over another guy tied up in a chair. The guy in black was supposed to be a vampire, as was evident when he started feasting on the other guy's neck. The effects were top notch; the blood looked real and so did the torn flesh. The acting wasn't half bad, either; the man being ripped apart was really getting into the role.

All the same, I wasn't that into the clip. I've never been a big fan of gore and, though I enjoy the occasional vampire flick, I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the genre. My friend was really into it, however, and proceeded to show me, and a couple of other friends, more clips starring our pale vampire friend. It was mentioned that no one knew where these clips originated from and that some people believed that a real vampire was being filmed. I was having none of it and laughed at the guys for even entertaining the idea.

Later on that night, someone stopped by and told us that the alleged vampire was actually living a few floors below us in the basement. That was when matters took a horrific turn.

One of our friends ventured down to the basement to verify this unlikely claim and never returned. We assumed he had gone home when he didn't return. A couple of hours later, a new vampire clip was available and there was a new victim---our missing friend. We all freaked out as we watched fangs and claws flay him to death. We decided to leave the house.

We were out in the middle of nowhere, and we became separated. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the vampire swoop down and rip the head off of one of my companions. I doubled back to the house, feeling too exposed outside. I hid under my bed until dawn arrived.

Rather than hightail it out of there now that it was daylight, I remained at the house until nighttime. I realized my folly too late and got on my lap top to see if there were any new videos posted. There was. Two more of my friends were being held captive by the vampire. I was absolutely terrified and I feared for my soul. I knew I would die that night; there was nothing I could do to protect myself from that killing machine (garlic, holy water, etc., were ineffective against this particular vampire). I sat and waited in fear for his terrible arrival.

That was when I awoke, thank God. I was so relieved that I started laughing. The dream was long, damnit! Too long. I immediately had an idea about what the dream was telling me and fell back asleep. I'll spare you any analysis---I feel bad enough for relating the dream in detail---but it would seem a very strong message had been sent to me.
--

I wanted to share what happened with Kim at work the other day---some scandalous stuff--- but it'll have to wait until my next post, because I'm pretty beat. I went on a tent job at Mass General today and though it was kind of cool walking around wearing a hard hat and vest, the construction site was a muddy mess and I couldn't wait to back to dry land.
--

I'll watch some more of Planet Earth tonight, the best nature series I've ever seen. Really, I've watched most of it so far with my jaw agape. Incredible!
--

Gio brought Timothy, the little Yorkshire Terrier puppy, into work after lunch today. He left him with me the entire afternoon and he slept in lap as I did my paperwork. I hope he comes back.

No comments: