Tuesday, February 19, 2008

There's danger at the edge of town

While out on errands for work, I stopped at Newbury Comics and picked up Radiohead's In Rainbows, an album I'd been putting off getting for reasons that escape me, and the latest from American Music Club, one of my favorite bands. That one was a surprise; I had no idea they had a new one coming out. So far it's really good. Both bands write some of the most gorgeous, haunting ballads I've ever heard and it's a nice bit of symmetry that I picked up discs by them. My original intention was to pick up the reissue of Jesus of Cool, Nick Lowe's first record, but they didn't have it. Oh well, maybe another time.
--
I called my grandmother's house today, expecting her to pick up. I knew she had been slated to return home either yesterday or today after having surgery to put cement in her spine (this was too strengthen her back), but when the phone kept ringing, I knew she was still in the hospital. I called over to Lahey Clinic and my aunt picked up. My grandmother was sleeping after having her second surgery in as many days. My aunt sounded heavy-hearted. Out of anyone, she is the closest to my grandmother and this has been especially hard on her. She told me my grandmother is still in a lot of pain and that they'll be performing another surgery tomorrow in an effort to alleviate some of it. As it stands, she'll be leaving the hospital in a couple of days only to go right back to rehab, this time in Woburn.

I've heard from various family members that my grandmother has mentioned throwing in the towel. This could be the final stretch for her. How much more of this can she take? She's ninety years old and she's in constant pain. I hope she gets through this, but what I hope more is for her to be free of pain.
--

After going for a run after work, I heard the call of the Black Dragon again. And yes, I heeded it's call. Of course I did---like I said in a recent post, the shit is good! Anyway, henceforth I'll be taking a break from the dragon. That, my friends is a promise. I'd curse you, Spira, for exposing me to the stuff, but it's so damn tasty I can't fault you.
--

The exterminator came by work today to empty out some traps and when I saw him out back he asked me if I wanted to see what he caught. I said sure, and he opened the the box he was carrying and inside were three dead rats. Half-expecting a feeling of revulsion at the sight, instead I was surprised at how clean and well groomed they looked. Considering where they hang out, that was an impressive sight.
--

Going to watch some of the C's tonight. KG, Big Baby, and Perk will be making their returns from injuries and it'll be good seeing them play again. Especially KG. With that, I will end this and try to get some songwriting in before the game.

No comments: