Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sometimes the wind blows through the trees, and I think I hear you calling me, but all I see is snow, everywhere I go

They let out us out early yesterday due to the approaching storm. I was all too happy to get on the road before it hit; horrible remembrances of last years storm, the one that hit hard and fast in it's brutality, had filled the office all week. I did not want to get stuck on 93 with my wiper fluid hose ripped apart and brakes that have of late been squealing their need to be replaced. Even though I paid a garage to replace my brakes just last year, apparently they weren't very good ones. Ah, the timing could have been better, but I'll carry on -- hopefully -- through Christmas when I'll have money to get the work done.

I did some yoga when I got home and then took a nap. I had gone into work earlier than usual knowing the day would be abbreviated and was a little tired when I got home. Later, I bundled up and walked over to Mara's to help her put up some shelves in her closet. It was an interesting journey. At times, visibility was so poor I had to stop and get a handle on exactly where I was. Walking along, I felt peaceful and lonely at various intervals. The walk was a little over a mile and, though I tried living in the moment, I couldn't help but imagine walking these same streets in the honeyed lushness of summer.

Some time last week, Ann and I were discussing our mutual distaste for winter. "Well, we're summer babies, so it's only natural we don't like it.", she said at one point. I thought about it for a bit. Is it possible that the two of us, and anyone else in born in the summer, are predisposed to like it's counter opposite, winter, less than those born in that season? I just figured everyone hated winter, whether they were born in January or July, but when Marcy confessed to me how much she loved winter and that it was probably due to the fact that she was born in a blizzard, I began to wonder if Ann was on to something.

I arrived safely at Mara's and put up her shelves. She's hosting a brunch for her Jew Group, as she calls it, on Sunday and was worried that she wasn't going to have her place put together in time. She's got her work cut out for her: she's only halfway finished painting the place and still has to do some cooking. I will be attending the event and will be the only gentile in attendance. I hope they have mercy on me.

My walk home was a little more taxing. More snow had accumulated and, consequently, walking through it took more energy. Passing Shaws on Elm St, I saw a girl swaying across the street towards me, texting away on her cell phone. It looked like she was on the deck of a ship traveling through choppy waters. Must have come from one of the bars, I thought. I debated whether to help her safely across the street, but she was already across before I made my decision.

I was tired when I got home and fell asleep watching Rescue Dawn with Herzog's commentary. I woke up this morning heavy with the memory of bizarre dreams. So bizarre, I thought I must have been sick, but it soon became evident that I was as hale as ever.

After breakfast and coffee, I went outside to shovel. The end of my driveway was a mountainous region of jagged peaks waist high and I quickly discovered that it was going to take me awhile to clear it. My neighbor Steve saved the day, though, and came by with his snow blower, making my life much, much easier. He cleared my driveway in a matter of minutes. I was grateful.

I yelled out a thank you as he made his way to another driveway. He was out all day helping people out. His kind gesture erased all the bad feelings I had towards him for all his noisy antics outside my window in days past. He was now Nice Guy Steve, friend to all. Of course, hours later, when I was trying to relax and he still had the damn blower going full throttle outside my window, some of the old feelings resurfaced. He loves that snowblower. I think he wants to marry it.

More snow is on the way. They're even hinting that Christmas eve could see more snow. Winter has just begun and we're being assaulted with a Shock N' Awe campaign. I wonder how many more winters I can take.

No comments: