Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Oh, baby think what you're doing, my love for you is gonna drive you to ruin

Going to spit this out real quick like because I'm effing tired and need to be engaged in some kind of passive activity. So let's give out some awards.


Most Listened To Award

Vashti Bunyan's Just Another Diamond Day. I listened to it in the shower, in my room, during sunny walks in the city, before bed, upon waking, during sex, when I was happy, when I was blue, in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. It's probably one of the gentlest, prettiest, and purest records I've ever heard. Great, lovely songs. When I listen to her, I am taken away to an innocent, almost fairy-tale-ish existence and long to remain there.

Worst December 23rd of 2008 Award

Yeah, today was lame. I was a half hour late due to a shit load of traffic caused by an iddy biddy fender bender in Medford. I found out that Ann is probably going to quit next week. I did the bulk of my Christmas shopping (there are reasons for this other than procrastination, just so you know) and it was a tiring affair, to say the least. I think there's more, but whatever, I'm ready to move on.

Yup, it's official: You No Longer Have The Christmas Spirit Award

That one goes to yours truly, but I'm giving it back. I'm not ready to give up on Christmas, my friends. Sure, it's a pain in the ass, but that's not Christmas's fault. We're the ones who have made it into the monster it has become. Even though I have better holiday seasons in mind for the future, I"m making the best of this one. Not everything about it has been lousy. Even amid all the ka ka, today had it's positives.

1. Therese gave me some home made jam as a Christmas gift. Very nice of her.

2. Had a good, challenging run after work. I needed it, despite the fact that conditions were hairy at times. Running in the ice, slush, and snow is not easy, but it is has its rewards. You're forced to watch every step and often you have to be creative, like in rock climbing, in how you choose them. The only time I slipped was when I entered the house after the run.

3. Got to see Janelle when she stopped by to drop off some boxes. Oh, and almost the first words out of Rich's mouth were heat and plastic. I heard him from upstairs and rushed down as fast as I could before he got all worked up. Despite his misery over the hardships of winter, I think it's his favorite season because I believe that in his head he thinks This is the time of year I really get to shine. I'm like a fucking surgeon when I cover the windows with plastic. With a hair dryer in one hand and a piece of plastic in the other, I'm a God among men. I work miracles on windows and if it were up to me, this whole apartment -- windows, doors, walls, ceilings -- would be covered in plastic. When I leave this earth, probably due to lack of plastic, I want my headstone to read "He never met a window he couldn't seal with plastic".

4. I was in line at CVS and a register opened up to the left of me. I made eye contact with the cashier as he said "next in line". He waved me over, and as I approached the counter, the guy who was in front of me in the previous line said "I believe I was the next in line" rather loudly in a voice that sounded like Rosie Perez, only gayer. I apologized for being too quick on the draw and switched places with him. I discovered that the guy was better off staying in the first line because the person in front of him had just finished paying. So, when I cashed out before he did, I shot him a little smirk that said "Ok, so I really wasn't the next in line and took your spot, but you were a little too loud and bitchy about it and look where it got you, you god damned son of a bitch."

No comments: