Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh these days seem so cruel, but honey child what can I do?

Overall, a shitty weekend. The weather was obviously a factor, but there were other little things that gnawed at me enough to prevent me from enjoying myself on any meaningful level. Here are the highlights of today.

-- Woke up to the sound of Steve's snow blower RIGHT THE FUCK BELOW MY WINDOW. Better than a rooster you are, Steve. (He has been stripped of the moniker Nice Guy Steve. I tried, but considering it's quarter past six and he's still running that beast, he's lucky I don't scalp and castrate him like I was a goddamned Apache.

--Ate a small breakfast of oatmeal and juice and got dressed in preparation for the walk over to Mara's in the driving snow.

--Met Rich in the living room as I was putting my coat on. I'd only seen him for about thirty seconds in the last week and a half and, despite the fact that there were a few things I wanted to discuss with him, I was already late and had to cut the conversation short.

Maybe it's because I don't have a filter between him and me now that Craig's gone, but his antics have been bothering me more than usual. I won't go into the details -- that would require a post of it's own -- but the only thing that makes me feel better about the situation is that Janelle will soon be moving in and I suspect on most fronts we'll be joined in solidarity, so if Rich wants to assert himself in ways we don't find favorable, he's right the fuck out the door.

(After I posted this, I met Rich in the kitchen and we had a nice little parley. We're more or less on the same page about things. I'm happy about that.)

-- My walk to Mara's was a little like the one I made on Friday night, except this time I walked against the wind and was assaulted with horizontal snow for the entire trip. When I got to her place, everyone was situated in her living room, which is pretty tiny. I poked my head in and everyone gave me a quick appraising glance before returning to their conversations. No introductions; nothing. I joined Mara, who was pacing around the kitchen like a line cook on a Saturday night, and tried to make myself useful.

Her friends, Ed and Elaina, whom I'd met when Mara and I were a couple, showed up a little after I did. I'm pretty sure they don't like me. I decided fairly early on in the brunch that the only person worth talking to, besides Mara, was her friend Stephanie. Everyone else avoided me like the plague. Maybe it was because I was the only non-Jew in the room. I'm kidding, but y'know, it was kind of odd to be so.... shunned.

The friends of Mara I get along with -- Joel, Aleister, Sara, and Dave-- didn't show up. I regretted making the trek over. I soon got my stuff together and got the hell out of there. I'm a pretty social person, but this was a tough crowd. I should have wished them a merry Christmas as I left. That woulda showed 'em.

-- Our cable company, RCN, has made the switch to digital and, despite the fact that the TVs in our house are not analog, we lost our feed. A message appears when you turn a TV on that says we need to have a cable box installed. I guess the fact that we ALREADY HAVE ONE INSTALLED doesn't make much of a difference to them.

--Speaking of TVs, the one in my room is starting to go. Seems like a lot of things in my life are starting to go. Least I still have my health.

I managed to watch A Praire Home Companion this weekend. It was good, but I thought I was going to enjoy it more. Maybe if I watch it another time I will. I plan on watching I'm Not There , the unique film about Dylan, sometime tonight. Or I may just watch some Herzog, instead.

Ok, I'm going to go eat some dinner. Cheers.

No comments: