Sunday, December 14, 2008

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down

When I came into work on Friday, about half of my coworkers were absent. Through talking with the people who did show up, I realized how severe the overnight freeze had been in large parts of the area. Everyone's power was out and driving was a frozen nightmare. I felt as if I had just arrived from another country. My power never even threatened to go out and the only ice I saw was atop some of the trees while driving through Andover. If I had stayed home, I probably wouldn't have known about any of this. I am not always well-informed.

I was disappointed by the knowledge that Ann was one of the ones who couldn't make it into work-- more than I thought I'd be. I soon got over it, however, and took comfort in the fact that it was Friday and, soon enough, I'd be out carousing like a sailor on shore leave. Without the requisite visit to a whorehouse, mind you.

From all the horror stories I've been hearing, it appears I really dodged a bullet. People everywhere lost power and are still without it. What a shitty way to spend the weekend. Of course, not having power could be viewed as a good thing, you know, with families spending time together and people helping each other out. Mind you, it's easy for me to say that, as I sit in my well-lit room with the heat on.
--
I watched the latest Indiana Jones film yesterday and liked it. It took me a few minutes to adjust to Harrison Ford's voice, which, in spots, sounded, distractingly so, like John Wayne. I was relieved when it became less noticeable further on in the film, because, let's face it, John Wayne is played out.

Tonight, I plan on watching A Prairie Home Companion. I'll let you know if anyone in it sounds like John Wayne.
--
I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet. I am not looking forward to it. Man, I used to love Christmas, but now it's just another day, which sucks. I never thought it would be possible that my Christmas spirit would diminish so greatly and so soon. There are reasons for this: I don't have children of my own and can't see in their eyes the sense of wonderment I used to feel; I am a (so called) adult and spend most of my time with adults, who, for the most part, feel beaten down by the holidays; and I'm not making enough money where I can spend freely on the people in my life. It's going to be challenging, portioning out the money I do have to spend. The good consequence of not having a ton of cash, is I appreciate, more than ever, the true spirit of the holiday, which in my estimation has a lot to do with being with the people who are important to you.
--
Was going to start posting some awards, but I'm not feeling too good, and will put them off another day. I know you're heartbroken, but it is what it is. All day, I've felt a little run down, as if I'm catching a cold. I don't want it, so maybe it will go away. I'm sure Rich wouldn't mind taking it off my hands.

I'll tune in tomorrow, and regale you with a mind-blowing, transcendent, post. I promise.

No comments: