Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oh baby, I feel so down, and I don't know why

I shouldn't have bothered going to work today. My commute there wasn't ill-effected by the snow, save for some rough patches in Andover, but, knowing it was going to get worse as the day progressed, I wondered why, especially considering we were going to have a short day anyway because of New Year's Eve, they had us come in at all.

I was there a couple of hours when Jeff announced that anyone who wanted to leave, could. I wanted to leave, but I also figured I should get some work done in order to justify coming in. About fifteen minutes later, Jeff announced that he had changed his mind and that in the interest of our safety, he was ordering us to leave.

It took me close to two hours to get home. If I get in an accident for two hours work, I'm going to be pissed, I thought. I made it home without incident, though there were a few close calls with idiot drivers, and immediately broke out the yoga mat and released myself of whatever tension I had built up on the ride home.

I took a nap in the afternoon and called Mara upon waking. We're going to get together at some point to celebrate New Year's. We're invited to a party at Aleister and Jane's but Mara may go it solo for a couple of hours and meet up with me later. It's not that I don't want to go, it's just that I don't really want to go. Ya dig? I'm not even going to make an attempt at clarification.

Sometimes you just need to be alone for awhile.

Alright, let's finish up these awards since the year is just about up.

Hoax I Never Would Have Believed If Not For A So-Called Reliable Source Signing Off On It Award

The Georgia Bigfoot hoax over the summer. These two yokels claimed to have a body and got Tom Biscardi, snake oil salesman du jour, involved and created a circus. I didn't believe it, but tried to reserve judgement until the day the body was shown to the public. Then Loren Coleman, King Crypto extraordinaire, comes along and posts on his website that he's seen pictures of the body and says it looks to be the real deal. Loren Coleman is well-respected, intelligent, thoughtful, and not easily fooled. So, of course, when he wrote that I got all giddy. Later, when it was revealed to be a hoax, Coleman back-pedaled, but not successfully, in my opinion. I felt betrayed. Oh, well, I still love you, Loren.

Greatest Turn Around Award

The Bruins and Celtics. Luke Warm and I had stuck by a truly awful Celtics team only to witness the acquisition of KG and a subsequent championship last season. And the Bruins? Well, I used to love them like Craig loves Milanos but, just like what happened with Craig and those cookies, I was betrayed. I think the final nail in the coffin was the Joe Thornton trade. I stopped watching after that. I still followed them afar, though, hoping in my heart they would make some sweeping changes and beckon me back into their loving embrace. Last year's playoffs was a good start. It was a good series and I watched every game. And this year? Well, they're playing out of their minds, as are the Celtics, and look like they might go deep in the playoffs. Hell, people are predicting they win it all. Of course, in this town, with these two teams absolutely dominating, sports radio basically ignores them and focuses on more important matters, like whether Manny might decide to buy a new pair of shoes in the next year or two. Yes, baseball reigns supreme, no matter what time of year and no matter what the other teams are up to. Ugghhhhh.

Film I Loved And Tried To Get Everyone To Watch Award

The Fall. Looovvveeed it!

Camping Trip That Went Well Despite A Bunch Of Whiny Bitches Bailing Out Award

Vermont in October with Luke Warm. Sure, it took me over three hours to get to his house the day of the trip, but the weather was fantastic, the food we made was tasty, the altered state of consciousness we settled warmly into at night was also tasty, and the hike we took the next day was picturesque and wholly gratifying. And, no, there were no Broke Back Mountain moments. That was just an awful rumor.

Best Passive/Aggresive Display Involving Handwritten Notes Award

Goes to Rich. A few weeks ago, Craig asked me if I had defaced the note Rich had left on the door in the foyer that leads to the porch. I had noticed the note before. It read: "Please keep this door shut tight" and there was a little smiley face at the bottom. It was a little irritating seeing it up, mostly because the door is pretty much always shut anyway, only because of it's construction, it's not easy to shut it tight, as Rich requested it be.

I told Craig I hadn't done anything to the note and went downstairs to inspect it. The note was most definitely defaced, but not by someone else, as I expected it would be, but in all probability by Rich himself. The request, which, let's face it, was a demand, to keep the door shut tightly, had key words like "shut" and "tightly" underlined several times in what looked to be a violent fashion. And the smiley face that had let the reader know that "Hey, even though I'm exerting my will on you, I'm being a nice guy about it", now had a frown, with angry, arched eyebrows drawn over it. I guess people weren't doing a good enough job keeping the door tightly shut.

I tore the note down. It was a ridiculous display and I felt it innapropriate for Rich to be putting up notes -- any notes -- in an area outside our apartment. When I checked the door the next morning, I saw that there was a new note up. This one read: "Mail Man, keep door shut tight!" Great, get the Mail Man all pissed at us so he'll fuck with our mail. I took that note down, too.

There were no notes forthcoming.

A few days later, I saw that Craig's name was scratched out on the door (our names are listed on a small piece of paper). I figured Craig had done it himself because he was moving out in the next few days. He told me he didn't do it. Rich said it wasn't him. Me? I'm convinced it was Rich. Who else would do that? I think he thought Craig was the one who took down the notes and retaliated.

It hasn't slipped my mind, by the way, that I was acting equally passive/aggressive by tearing down the notes and not confronting Rich directly. Yeah, but in my defense, that dude has a lot going on internally and doesn't take criticism very well (wow, we're like twin souls!). So, in the interest of keeping the peace, I acted accordingly.

Alright, I'm all tapped out. I'm sure I missed some big, important awards, but what are you going to do. See you next year, bitches.

No comments: