Thursday, May 31, 2007

A man needs a maid

It was a busy day at work. Because it's the last day of the month and because the month that is making it's swan song is May, that meant a welter of truck rentals today. Ryan was given the task of processing the reservations while I handled other company business. On an average day, we might see about four Penske's going out of our lot, but today we had close to thirty.

The folks at the Medford office, where we get our trucks, were either understaffed or inept today; I can't figure out which. Maybe a little of both. They were late, sometimes by hours, in getting trucks out to us. Well, good thing I didn't have to deal with that mess today. Or so I thought. Most of the customers weren't pleased with the wait, nor were they pleased when they were told they'd have to, if they were renting locals, bring their trucks back at 9:00 tomorrow morning or they'd be charged another day. I was the lucky one who got to dish out this pleasant bit of news because, at 4:00, Ryan bailed on me in the middle of a rush. He had to go to physical therapy, which was news to me. Karen had left a couple of hours earlier, so that left me, for all intents and purposes, alone to steer the ship.

From four o'clock to six thirty, all I did was process Penske contracts. At one point I had six people waiting for trucks that weren't in my lot. Some people had to wait a couple of hours. One thing Penske does that I do not agree with is give people larger trucks than what they reserved. It happens most often when someone reserves a twelve footer. Penske is always low on them so they tell us to "upgrade" the customer to a sixteen footer. If the customer complains, we're told to tell them it's the sixteen or nothing. It's the ol' bait and switch. Sons of bitches!

It ended well, though. My last transaction was with a very attractive college student. She had been there since four and was more patient than most of the people who had to wait. When the dust had settled, it was just her and I in the shop. She was waiting for her moving partner to show up, so she hung out while I locked up. I asked her if she wanted me to stick around until her friend showed up, but she declined. Now, I didn't make the offer because I was trying to get anywhere, I assure you. I just sincerely felt bad about leaving her hanging out by herself in my parking lot. I'd do it for anyone, really I would. Ahh, you don't believe me.
--
She did set me to thinking about the person that I occasionally write about but can't name when it comes to expressing my feelings for her. I think I've given a reason, albeit vague, why she needs to remain nameless for now. There are a few reasons and the majority of them should be obvious, but there is one that would surprise you. And I wish I could disclose it---hell, disclose it all---but I just can't. So instead, in my juvenile fashion, I'll have to content myself with teasing you. What have I become?
--
I'm going to watch some more of The Wire tonight. I'm almost done with the first season. I will also try to accomplish some more writing/rehearsal. When I have all the time in the world, I seem to have trouble finding projects to pass it with, and when I don't have much, it seems I have a thousand things I could fill it with. Fucking life and its little games.

No comments: