Tuesday, May 8, 2007

When we drink beer, dragonflies appear

I just went down to the kitchen and Rich was there taking our new Britta out of the box. Good, because I've been getting sick of drinking tap water. Anyway, his face was soaked for some reason. I figured he had just washed up and was about to towel off when I came on the scene. I commented that he looked liked he was trying to hide something from me, that he appeared nervous with all that sweating. He replied that he had a long walk home from the T and worked up a good sweat. And that was that. I didn't follow up, but I think he was serious, which meant that all that moisture on his face was really sweat. If I had known, I wouldn't have made a joke. But, man, who sweats that much? It appears that I live with an excessive sweater and I'm fine with that. Bob TV's a molter and I have a pure heart. What a trio we make.

Tomorrow I have to fire Angela, a woman who's been with us for a few weeks now. Karen, the owner, can't bear working with her for a number of legitimate reasons, most of which I agree with, and she has to go. She's a nice woman, though a little sneaky, and I don't expect it will be an enjoyable experience. This will be my first time firing someone.

I thought of her today. I wondered if I'll ever summon the nerve to ask her out and whether I should even bother. For some reason---some of it based on past experiences, to be sure, and some of it the product of thoughtful analysis--- I don't think she'd be too receptive to the idea. But then, when I frame it another way, it seems obvious that, not only would she be receptive to the idea, she'd be ecstatic. Well, maybe not ecstatic, but somewhere in the region. And if I'm truthful with my self, I'll realize that I'm more comfortable with not asking her out, because at least that way, I'll never be rejected and there will at the very least remain the possibility that she'd accept my proposal (perhaps a poor choice of words. I didn't mean it in the sense of asking her to marry me, but I bet you figured that out on your own). So, maybe, just to spite myself, I'll summon up the nerve to ask her out. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Sun Wu Kung said...

Speaking of freak folk (the title) according to their myspace page, CocoRosie were arrested this week and have cancelled the U.S. tour. How can they arrest a whole band?

Thanks for coming out to Lowell.

I've noticed that if it's late at night and I find something on the yeti on tv, I tend to sleep better. One would think it was the other way around, from the fear and all, but for me, the yeti is better than ambien.

Kevin said...

It's not surprising you sleep better after a Yeti-related program. The Yeti, despite their bulk and erroneous reputation as being hostile , are actually, I suspect deep in my gut, as gentle as a mother's kiss. Just don't hit on their women; they're very possessive.

I heard about the CocoRosie arrest and still haven't figured out precisely why it happened. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they're sisters. Perhaps they got a little too close on stage, or something. At least, that's what I hope happened.