Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rider on the wheel

Things could be worse. You know, I've always disliked that phrase. The last thing I want to hear when I'm down in the dumps for whatever reason is that things could be even worse than they are. Doesn't prove to be the elixir I need to propel me to greener pastures, that's for sure. So why am I bringing this up? I don't know. I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

Of course, I could have brought that up because the Celtics, the team that most definitely tanked some games in order to reap the benefits of one of the best drafts in years, were selected to pick fifth in the draft, the worst case scenario for them, as opposed to an expected top three pick, in last nights lottery. Though they were the second worst team in the league, the ping pong balls didn't favor them. No Greg Oden, the prospective next Bill Russell, or Kevin Durant, the next..... well, the next someone---the kid is amazing! Oh, well, they'll still get a high pick, just not one of the elite ones.

Things could be worse.

The last few days---hell, more than a few--- at work have done a number on my psyche. I was irritable and curt with customers and my coworkers. Not all the time, but enough to make me take a time out and assess why this was happening. Part of it had to do with the fact that I've often been left alone to handle all of the counter work, which includes handling the constant phone calls, the walk-ins, the truck rentals, the accounting, the scheduling of deliveries and pick ups, and blah-diddy-blah. That, coupled with the fact that it's the height of the busy season and I'm still, for all intents and purposes, as green as split pea soup (for those of you keeping track of my tastes, one of my favorite soups). Because I didn't like what I was seeing, I made a concerted effort to relax more and thus far, I've been pretty successful. If I'm ever able to get back into it on a regular basis, meditating will help a bunch. Ah, but it's not as bad as I make it. There's plenty to be joyful about.

For instance, after a number of listens, the new Rufus Wainwright has become one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. I certainly think it's one his best, and that's saying something. I've been listening to it every day and because there's a lot going on throughout it, I discover new treasures with each subsequent listen. And of course, there are the new Elliot Smith and Bjork albums to make my smile even wider.

Sean and I are going to book a show, or shows, together, and I'm excited at the prospect of sharing a bill with him. He's one of the most gifted songwriters I know and it will be an honor to play with him. And because we're not the most proactive people when it comes to booking our own gigs, doing it together should remedy that. Remember how excited you were when you saw Jeff Foxworthy work the same stage as Sir Larry the Cable Guy? Well, this pairing should top that. I'll keep you posted.

Things could be worse, but they could be better, and that's where I'm setting my focus. I'm not going to wallow in feelings of mediocrity, guilt, regret, what have you. Nope, I'm in the business of improvement, of joy where I can find it. Certainly, that can't be too difficult to achieve.

No comments: