Wednesday, February 21, 2007

There's a doctor in town who'll cure the boy

In the middle of the maelstrom that has been my life of late, I'm happy to say I've maintained a calm center. I've had periods of doubt, anxiety, frustration, and despair, but they've been so brief as to seem nonexistent. Meditation, yoga, and positive thinking have kept me grounded and are guiding me through the storm. Along with the above, I've also had to accept that everything that's going on with me right now I put into effect. Not easy to do that without thinking you're a fool, but I've been pretty successful extracting the positive aspects of my situation. I'm not out of the woods yet, but it doesn't matter. All I'm concerned with is what's in front of me. I'm on a tightrope, and if I falter just a bit, I'll fall . The key, the essential thing, is to remain in a positive, productive state. Have I been New Agey enough for you, or are you ready for more? Actually, I dispute whether any of the techniques I've been employing are necessarily New Agey, but I digress. Let's move on to other, more sexified matters.

I've had issues with sinusitis---clogged nasal passages, for you laymen---and recently came across an article in a yoga magazine about Jala Neti, the practice of nasal irrigation that's popular in Asia, The Middle East, and Eastern Europe. It entails pouring warm water mixed with salt into a nasal passage and have it drain from the other. Intrigued, I went online and did more research on the subject, and found out that most people who do it regularly garner great results. Even people with chronic sinusitis noticed a profound change. I had talked to Spira about it and while she was out shopping yesterday, she picked up a syringe-looking device that would do the trick of irrigating my nasal passages. I tried it this morning and it was a more pleasant experience than I thought it would be. Near the end of the process, I applied too much pressure on the syringe-thingy and that kind of hurt. I felt a burning sensation behind one of my eyes and in my nose. I'll try to be more gentle in the future. I hope it works for me, because I really hate being stuffed up and sounding like a friggin' nerd when I speak. And if you know me, you know I can't fucking stand nerds! So, yeah, nasal irrigation. Check it out.

I took a walk today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't taken one in weeks because of the weather, but today was warm and sunny. I walked into Davis Sq. and then made my way to Ball Sq. The warmer weather is coming and I'll be out walking regularly again, with my ear buds on and smiling, in this beautiful part of the city that I live in.

1 comment:

Sun Wu Kung said...

If you check my Monkey on the Mountain archives, you'll find a long entry on the neti pot and sinusitis. At one point, the post achieved some near mythic status -- aided by the attending pic of me with my bright red pot irrigating the old olfactory organ.