Thursday, February 22, 2007

Are you having a laugh?

I interviewed for a management position at a liquor store today and I think it went as well as it could have, short of me being hired. The owner is leaving to some tropical destination tomorrow and told me he'd let me know his decision when he returned in a week. I had to hold back from telling him there was nothing to think about, that I'm the obvious, sensible choice for the position, so why not save me a week of uncertainty and say yes, Kevin, we'd love to have you as a member of our team. I chose to hide my desperation and kept my thoughts to myself. Probably the best tactic.

Last night I made the call to my parents that I had been hoping to avoid, the one where their down on his luck son calls and asks for some financial aid so that he can pay rent. Whenever I needed money in the past, I'd always go to my mother. I never felt comfortable going to my father. That is not to say I feared his response; it had more to do with the anachronistic sense of pride that runs deep and old in the veins of men. I didn't want my father to view me as weak, as someone who couldn't take care of himself. Maybe I've grown, because last night I sucked it up and talked to him about my financial problems. And you know what? He was much easier to talk to than my mother. He sympathized with my plight and didn't accuse me of being the most irresponsible, dimwitted excuse for a son the world has ever seen. Not to say my mother is a tyrant---she's not-- only she'd attach so much worry to the proceedings that if I didn't remove myself from her presence I'd start pacing and biting my nails over how fucked up my life is. My mother worries, maybe too much sometimes, but it's because she cares about her flock. Anyway, my parents pulled through for me and I have one less thing to worry about. It's good to know I don't have to face my troubles alone. I am fortunate. And grateful.

A good night of comedy for me tonight. Spira, Bob TV and I watched a couple of episodes of Extras, a show that is quickly becoming one of my favorites, The Office, and Scrubs, a show I've only recently started watching. I welcomed the funny with open arms. I needed it. BTV and Spira were pleasant with each other tonight. I hope it lasts.

No comments: