Monday, February 12, 2007

A Second Christmas

A group of friends and I went to visit our friend Kreg down in Falmouth this weekend to celebrate what is now known as Second Christmas. The name came as a result of two factors: 1) Last year, when it began, our friends Tracy and Ray brought a Turkey to Kreg's and they all made what amounted to be a Christmas dinner and 2) Kreg's mother is fascinated with Christmas decorations. Almost every square inch of the house is covered with them, and they don't come down until the end of winter. For lack of a better word, it was interesting entering the house that Christmas built in the month of February. Wer'e thinking of heading down again next week for Second New Year's Eve.

All told, there were ten of us in attendance and it was great seeing everyone. Tracy and Ray brought their daughter Faith, the cutest baby I think I've ever seen, with them and it was great spending quality time with her. She entertained us all with her animal impersonations, though I think she needs to expand her repertoire; when I asked her to tell me what sound a dung beetle makes, she presented with a puzzled stare. She's still young and she's got plenty of time to impress me.

Kreg had allotted rooms for couples, singles, and even snorers, as far as the sleeping arrangements went. Mike and Luke Warm were the snorers, so they got to sleep in the office. I shared a room with Spira, which, with its two twin beds, frilly curtains, and stuffed animals, obviously served as a guest room for the grandaughters, or a couple of flaming grandsons. As it happened, I probably should have been thrown in with the snorers because twice during the night, Spira woke me up because I was snoring. I don't know whats happened to me--- I used to never snore, but now I'm keeping people awake with it. And to make matters worse, Mike, a professional snorer, told me he could hear me snoring through the wall! Could it be that next year, I'll be herded in a room with the snorers, those lowly creatures? It could be. I shudder at the thought.

Yesterday morning, Spira, Mike, and I walked down to the pool house to swim and hang out in the sauna. We had the place to ourselves until an old timer came in to take inventory or something. He was followed shortly by another old timer accompanied by what appeared to be his grandchildren and daughter, none of them flaming. At that point, we decided to head back to the house; it's hard to relax in a pool with the cast of Golden Girls scurrying around. While Spira and Mike were off changing, I had to contend with one of the old timer's evil stares. In hindsight, I wish I called him on it, especially since I'm pretty sure I could take him in a fight. Mike and I left before Spira and when she was leaving one of the Gestapo agents gave her the third degree about not covering the pool and asked her to identify herself and to explain who in the association she was affiliated with.

Later on,Ray, who's from England, showed me an episode of Only Fools and Horses, one his favorite shows from back home. After that, we all had dinner. Overall, it was a great weekend. Spira, Luke Warm, and I were the last ones to leave. On our way home we figured out that we could have stayed another night if we wanted to, but turning around didn't seem like the right thing to do as we had our sights set on the city.
--

It could be said that, because of Doug, I had good day today. I watched American Movie, a film I thoroughly enjoyed, and learned about from him. Also, he had left me a comment on another blog entry about my ailing mp3 player, suggesting I try recharging it. Well, I had already done that, but right after reading his comment, I examined my charger and discovered that, though it was plugged in to the mp3 player, it was not plugged in on the other end. I immediately remedied the situation and now, hours later, my mp3 player has returned to me. It may seem like a small thing, but I really love that thing. I take it everywhere I go and there's a lot of music on there that I don't have in any other format. So, cheers Doug, and thanks for the help.

No comments: