Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I look pretty young, but I'm just back dated

I finally had my car looked at today. For months my brake light had been going every time I stopped, and lately it pretty much stayed on all the time. I never got it looked at because I feared it would cost me more than I could afford. Based on performance, it seemed I would need new brakes, which wouldn't come cheap. I couldn't wait any longer, though. I at least had to have a mechanic diagnose the problem.

Fortunately, there's a garage right next to where I work, so I was able to have them look at my car without missing out on any pay. All day, I did my best to keep focus on the work at hand, but my thoughts kept straying to nightmarish scenarios concerning my car. What if they tell me it's much more than my brakes, that I'm better off getting a new car? What if the bill runs in the thousands?

I got the call around two thirty and was told there was a hole in the brake line and brake fluid had gotten everywhere. I needed new shoes and a couple of other parts I can't recall the names of. My cost: $ 180.00. I couldn't believe it. I can't remember the last time I've payed less than four hundred dollars for repairs. Still, I'm a poor son of a bitch, and $ 180.00 is still a lot of money for me to be spending, but it could have been much, much worse. I came out on top, son!

Now that I share an office with Therese, I'm starting to get a little annoyed with her. Only a little, though: I don't think I could ever get past that stage of mild annoyance. She's so nice. Anyway, what I've found annoying is that almost every day she says something to the effect of " I can't believe it's three o'clock already! Where does the time go? There aren't enough hours in the day." And when it's nearing the end of the month, she'll say something like "I can't believe it's almost October." I usually don't respond beyond the occasional "Yes, time does fly" or some other lame response, but every so often I feel like I should sit her down and explain the nature of time, so that in the future it won't be such a surprise to her when it passes. But, I could never do that to sweet Therese. As I said, she's nice. Yet, she can be annoying. I guess we'll just have to see how this unfolds. We may be looking at a cage match down the road.

After work, I did some yoga and went for a run. I came home and made a salad with about fifty ingredients. I'm pretty beat and I think I'm going to get my clothes out of the dryer, take a nice, long, soak, and relax the rest of the night.

No comments: