Sunday, September 20, 2009

You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a day dream, or a fever

Could have used another hour of sleep this morning -- went to bed pretty late last night -- but Steve, my neighbor who likes to make a lot of noise outside when people are trying to sleep, made a lot of noise outside while I was trying to sleep. He woke me up with a loud spraying sound. It took me several seconds to get my bearings and figure out where the WHSSSSSHHHHH WHSSSSHHHHH was coming from. Fucking prick -- I was having a good dream, too.

Real quick, especially because it's old news at this point, I'll wrap up the post wherein I made a solemn promise to describe my visits with my parents and Luke Warm the other day. I'm sure you've been all squirmy in anticipation.

My parent's house. I made a surprise visit and they seemed pleased to see me. Probably as pleased as I was to see them. It had been a while since we last saw each other. My intention was to make it a quick visit because Luke Warm and I were going to have dinner before we practiced, but it wasn't meant to be.

My mom had lots of computer questions, so we trekked upstairs and I addressed them. As I showed her different applications on the computer, I noticed her disposition regarding it had changed considerably from the agitated and confused one she had previously worn. Now, she was eager to learn and smiled throughout the whole tutorial. Part of that, I think, had to do with having her son in the room with her ( often, out of the corner of my eye, I'd catch her looking at me lovingly), but another, and greater, part, had to do with her having reached a level of comfort with the computer. I showed her YouTube and Hulu; she adored the sites immediately. Progress.

I was happy to help out. I realized that I'm much more resourceful when I'm helping them out on their computer, than I am trying to figure stuff out on my own. Probably because I need to be when I'm helping them out, otherwise, because they're neophytes, their concerns won't get addressed. I'm all they've got in that department. Well, that's not entirely true -- my mom's coworkers have been offering guidance -- but you get the idea.

After fooling around on Hulu for a bit, I saw that it was getting late. Better leave. We went downstairs and, as I was saying my goodbyes, I saw that my dad had the TV stand pulled away from the wall, cables unplugged from their devices and pointing everywhere, looking like a post-modern Medusa.

He didn't say anything about it, but my mom did. She looked at him and said, "Oh, you wanted Kevin to help you with the TV", and then, to me, "Would you mind?"

"Not at all", I replied sincerely.

I won't get into what needed to be done over at the TV because it's pretty convoluted. I helped as best I could; time will tell whether I was successful. I think my parents, like many others of their generation, long for the days of simpler technology, when the only thing you really needed to fiddle with on the TV was the rabbit ears.

I made it to Luke Warms late, but not too late. He made me a delicious rice-based meal and then we got about the business of rehearsing. Presently, Luke Warm is staying with his dad and being at the house was like being in a time warp. Since high school, it was where our friends used to congregate. Luke Warm's dad let our bands rehearse in the basement. Ahh, the good old days.

I say it was like being in a time warp because the house, if it has been changed in any way, it has been only slightly. As Luke Warm and I played in the living room, I'd occasionally find myself reminiscing about the past, about the good times we had there. Long ago, but right at the fingertips, too. Strange, time --does it even exist? Whatever it's nature, Wolf had it right: you can't go home again.
--
Saw Life As A House with Mara the other night. Pretty good, but uneven. Kind of like a made for TV movie, but slightly edgier. Good cast: Kevin Kline, Kristen Scott Thomas, Jenna Malone, Scott Bakula, Haydn Christianson, Mary Steenbergen (who had a nice little nude scene and, damn, woman!--age hasn't had it's way with you yet).

Also got to watch the season premier of The Office yesterday. Laughed my ass off. Hope the rest of the season goes as well.

Some time today I plan on watching Knowing, a film I've been eager to see ever since it came out. Looking forward to it.

Almost through with Abraham's A Betrayal In Winter. I might pick up the next installment tomorrow. I've really been enjoying his writing. Might take a little break, though, and give some love to The Pillars Of The Earth, a book I haven't read from in a couple of weeks.

Yoga today? We'll see. I'd like to, but it may not be feasible. It's a good day for it. Sundays and yoga are a great pairing.

Ok, now Steve is painting the side of his house and is blasting talk radio. Am I going to have to choke a bitch?

Stay tuned.

No comments: