Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I've smoked my friends down to the filter

My fucking phone, still relatively new, has begun the annoying habit of shutting off at random and inopportune times, like today when I was at the courthouse in Nashua trying to get information from Marcy. I'll be monitoring the situation closely.

Speaking of libidos about ready to burst, mine has reached that point, without doubt. If I don't get laid soon, I....I...I don't know what I'm going to do. Actually, I have a pretty good idea what I'll do, and so do you. Let's leave it at that.

I have reached a new level of bookworm. The other day, I came up with a smashing way to decide which book I'll read during lunch break, once I've completed Banville's The Sea. Because I've got a ton of books kicking around that need to be read -- some I've put a dent in already, others I haven't started -- I organized a playoff-like bracket of thirty two books to determine which book would be next. A flip of a coin decided whether a book would advance to the next round or be eliminated from the tourney. I'm not going to lie to you, I had a lot of fun. The winner: The Brothers Karamazov. I can't wait to finish it so that I can do it all over again. Get a life, you say? Hrumph! You're jealous, son. Jealous of my good times, jealous your life is mired in bland routine, jealous that your lips move when you read (that's a sign that you're a dummy, if you didn't know that already).

My dreams of late have found been kind of lonely, even though they've been peopled with friends and family, and even the wonderful and missed dog of my youth, Mandy. I feel as if I'm on the precipice of a significant change in my life. The problem is, I can't tell if it will bode well for me or not. Ah, but isn't that life in general, this uncertainty?

I've missed every episode of Madmen this season. I'll have to see if they're archived online. In the meantime, I'll continue with The Wire and Six Feet Under.

Music, music, music. I've been making some headway with songs old and new. And playing with Luke Warm and soon with Scott, has been great for the creativity. Soon I'll be playing out regularly, often with accompaniment, if things go well. Stay tuned.

Ok, I'm off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've started picking books out at the library by the cover art or font. No reading the synopsis... Then when I get home I read the most visually appealing one first. If it doesn't grab me by the first or second chapter I just return it. Life's to short to waste on bad books! God bless the library.

Kevin said...

Bold technique, Kim. Since I don't belong to a library, it's wasted on me. However, I recall doing that with music back in the day. Before the Internet, I used to have no idea if a band was any good, especially if I hadn't read about them in a mag or through a friend. I'd buy based on cover art and intuition. More expensive than the library, but my success rate was pretty high.