Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sister, say a prayer for us, one we learned from nuns and such, I won't believe not a word you speak, just make it sweet to hear

Yoga and a run this morning, both accomplished before breakfast. Yes, occasionally, my pure heart declares itself a warrior. There were stretches during the run when I felt like a single organism, rather than a collection of parts, like I do most of the time. I hope the feeling increases. It should if I keep this up.

Everyone thinks they're a good driver, but obviously that's not true, because there are many, many bad drivers. Me? I think I'm a good driver, which means, if I, say, rate myself as an eight, the reality is that I'm probably a six or seven. Be that as it may, I have a pretty solid driving record and, within the last few years, I've tried to correct my weaknesses, which, as far as I can tell, are as follows: 1. driving too fast 2. lapses in attention 3. aggressive and uncooperative.

I've never perceived these weakness as pervasive, but they've reared their ugly heads enough for me to notice them. So, I've taken measures to become a better, more thoughtful driver, partly out of necessity -- e.g. I can't drive fast because my car won't let me -- and partly because I'm calming down the older I get.

As a result of these changes, I've noticed, even more than ever, how many absolutely shitty drivers are on the road. Not a day goes by when I'm not tailgated on the highway less than five times. This happens no matter which lane I'm in and no matter how fast or slow I'm going. I've slowed down over the years, but I still go with the flow of traffic. Yet, it's as if I've got a giant magnet on my rear bumper that's attracting all these fucks.

I was in the far right, or granny lane, as I like to call it, the other day on 93 . I was going sixty five. I was tailgated several times in the span of minutes, and once by a cement truck! What the fuck? And it's not just me; I've been watching other cars get tailgated. I may have calmed down in some ways, but let me tell you, I don't respond very well to these bullies. I don't tailgate them in kind, mostly because I don't think my car would be able to catch up with them, but I either lift my arm and motion them even closer, which often works to get them to back off because they sense I must be crazy to actually encourage them to basically ram into me, or I blow them kisses. Actually, I only use this method on men, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, there are a lot of shitty drivers out there and I'm amazed I'm not seeing accidents every time I venture out. Maybe now, with the advent of driving while in-text-icated, I will.

Ok, time to get on with the day, which will not find me driving anywhere.

No comments: