Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's the terror of knowing what this world is about, watching some good friends screaming let me out

Not a particularly bad day, but one that won't go down in the books, to be sure. I'm hoping to at least have a decent night. Perhaps there will be that.

I've noticed lately that most of my daily interactions with people are brief and don't get past the business at hand, if there is any, or the level of small talk. There is much about my job I enjoy, shitty pay notwithstanding, but, though everyone is cordial and generally in good spirits, there's not much interaction. The blue collar jobs I've had, most of them, at least, were much more social. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really talk to people much anymore, whether it's at work or outside of work. I miss the art of conversation and the feeling of kinship.

Just found out a former class mate of mine just passed away. Sad, hearing that. He was a good guy. He passed too soon.

I'm slowly reaching the half way mark of The Brothers Karamazov. So far it's been a good read, though it's taken me some time getting used to the melodramatic behavior of it's characters. Everyday at lunch, I sneak down to the break room that no one but me ever frequents and read about ten or twelve pages before my break is over. At this rate, I suspect, given the girth of the book, I'll finish it around Christmas.

I finished Griffin's 9/11 Contradictions the other day and moved on to his 9/11: Debunking the Debunkers, a book I read from about a year ago and put down for one reason or another. The bookmark fell out at some point, so I decided I'd just start over. It's staggering how much evidence there is pointing to 9/11 being an inside job. Absolutely staggering.

The last book, or to be more precise, the last installment (it's being divided into three parts) of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is being released this month. I started reading the series when I was fresh out of high school. The first several books were incredible -- aside from George RR Martin, I still haven't read anything in the genre quite as captivating -- but the quality suffered as the series progressed over the years. Sadly, Mr. Jordan passed away before he could finish the last book, the plot of which he had kept in his head from the time he began the series. Days before he died, he told his brother and his wife and editor, Harriet, how the story ended.

Brandon Sanderson, an author I haven't read, but one I've heard good things about, accepted the offer from Harriet to write the last book. Like me, Sanderson was a big fan of the series from early on. Needless to say, he was in a mild state of shock when he was asked to finish the series.
I'm looking forward to reading the first book of three when it comes out, but I'm not as excited as I would have been if the series had kept me hooked all those years. Still, I've stuck with it for well over a decade. Yeah, I guess I am a little excited, now that I think of it.

After work, I did some yoga and went for a run. I'm a little tired. Off to do some reading and what not.

No comments: