Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The lunatic is in the grass

In the dream I was a passenger in a small plane my father was piloting. It was late in the day and a golden hue had settled over the landscape. We flew low over a lake that seemed more like a river. I was weary at first -- in my dreams, even flying in a commercial airliner is often terrifying -- but I soon found myself enjoying the experience immensely. I trusted my father implicitly and, judging by the way he navigated the plane, he was an expert pilot. He flew close to the water at times and rolled the plane a few times. I felt liberated.

When I woke up, I tried thinking back to the day before for any reference that might have triggered the dream. Oh yeah, I thought, I was reading from the Franklin book about how Gary Caradori, the chief investigator for the Franklin Committee, died under mysterious circumstances. Along with his boy, he had piloted a small plane to Chicago to attend the MLB Allstar game and, more importantly, to gather incriminating photos of some of the major players in the Franklin Case from a witness. On the return flight, his plane exploded mid flight, killing him and his son.

A wonder my dream was so pleasant.
--

The next few days will be busy. I'll be driving all over the place for work, visiting my parents tomorrow night, attending a Halloween party up in NH, a birthday party party for my dad, and other stuff I'm drawing a blank on.
--

Therese buys candy almost every day and puts it out in a bowl for everyone to eat. Lately, she's been rocking the candy corns. Today, she emptied an entire bag into the bowl by accident. "Don't worry, Therese", I said, "it may be overflowing now, but give it an hour and the bowl will be nearly empty."

I wasn't joking. There are some in the office who pig out on candy and, I never say this, but I think they should buy their own candy once in a while, instead of having Therese, who barely eats any, do it all the time. Anyway, the bowl was empty in less than an hour. Therese shook her head in disbelief and whispered to me, "Maureen ate almost all of the candy."

She was right. Maureen, my book buddy, went ape-shit on the candy corns. It was a big bag, too. She made several trips into our room for the sole purpose of grabbing handfuls of candy corns. Damn! If I did that, I would have gotten sick to my stomach. That shit be sweet, son!

--

Tonight: Dexter, music, read, other stuff.

No comments: