Sunday, June 22, 2008

A troubled cure for a troubled mind

Had a terrible dream last night. Truth be told, it wasn't really terrible for me, but for someone else. Well, I guess it was terrible for me, too, but I mostly had fun before the guilt set in. Ah, dreams can be complicated and Ido believe I made an oath a few posts back--- one that right after I made it, I couldn't keep--- not to drown you in the vagaries and boring details of my dreams. So, it's essential that I man-up and at least try to be true to my word. Bad timing, though, because this particular dream had a pretty good story arc and would have made a good Lifetime flick.
--

Went to see Spira play at the Gulu Gulu in Salem on Friday night. The plan was for me, Luke Warm, and Craig to go down together. Mara had other plans, but they were abruptly canceled, so she made her way over to my place. While waiting for her to show up, I got a call from her asking me to meet her outside. Once there, I couldn't find her. What game is she up to, I asked myself. It was then that I saw her up the street a bit.

I went over to her and saw right away that she stood at the scene of a car accident. Her car was pulled up to the sidewalk and the right side of its front end was crumpled like a ball of foil. About fifteen feet behind her car was the car she hit. Its driver-side door was mangled and rested perpendicular to the car. And on the sidewalk, next to Mara, was the girl who was driving the car. Everyone was alright. What happened was Mara was driving by and the girl opened her door wide to get out of the car and SMASH! Happens all the time in the city.

The girl had never been in an accident before and was pretty shaken up. Didn't help matters that her car had been unregistered for almost a year. The cop was especially kind to her and didn't cite her, at least monetarily, for the offense. Something tells me that if that was me in that position, I wouldn't have gotten off so easily. Sometimes it helps being a frightened, good looking, young lady.

Mara managed to get her car in my driveway and there it remains until she can get it assessed and then towed. We almost didn't go to Salem. Luke Warm was itching to get going---it was already about ten minutes past the time we intended to leave---and Mara thought she was going to be tied up a bit longer with the traffic cop. She told me to go with the guys and she'd just hang out in the house until we returned. That didn't sit well with me; if I were to have done as she suggested, I would have felt pretty lousy about it. So, I told her I'd stay, but I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect. I was looking forward to going out, most especially because I needed to hang out with some friends. And frankly, I needed some time away from Mara. We don't see each other every day, but I confess to feeling a little crowded sometimes. So, a night alone with Mara and away from my friends wasn't quite what the doctor ordered, but I was prepared to do it, because, let's face it, it would have been the right thing to do. The poor woman had just been in a car accident!

Turns out, she finished with the cop in time to go to Salem with the boys. It was great seeing Spira play. The band she plays with, Machine 475, I didn't really like when I first heard them, but have since witnessed a lot of growth and become impressed with their music. The night wasn't all good. Our group had splintered off into two camps: Mara and me and Craig and Luke Warm. Part of the reason for that was because of lack of seating. The other, and more substantial, part was due to something else entirely. I made a decision that night that wasn't easy to make. We'll see if it sticks, and if it does, what the ramifications will be.
--

I'm off to rehearse a little for this show tomorrow night. Hope perhaps to see some of you there. Don't expect to, though.

No comments: