Sunday, June 29, 2008

Once we had an easy ride and always felt the same, time was on our side and we had everything to gain

Friday night, Spira, Mara, and I went to see Jennifer Greer play at the Middle East. She played in the dining room, which was nice because me and my companions were effing hungry. I ordered spinach pie for my appetizer and, because it's one of my all time favorite foods, I should have ordered two or three helpings and made that my meal. But, in the interest of variety, I ordered the grilled salmon with couscous. Delicious, but next time I'm just going to stick with the spinach pie. It's in my top three, for crissakes! To designate it an appetizer is irresponsible and counterintuitive. Don't worry, spinach pie, I will learn from my mistake and grant you exalted status from now on.

Jennifer is the boyfriend and band mate of Spira's friend Andy, who I know as well. I'd never seen her play before and I thought they all played well. I was very attracted to her and tried not to make it obvious with Mara right next to me. Am I a pig? No, I am not. People don't stop being attractive once you enter into a relationship. Anyone who tells you different is a flat out liar. It's the decisions you make based on the attraction that can render you a pig. All the same, I had a few dreams that night where I cheated on Mara. They weren't very pleasant.

I abhor cheating, but I can understand how it happens. It's easy, when you have some distance from it, to say you'd never, ever cheat on your mate, and that people who do are sinners of the highest order. I bet a lot of people who have cheated on their mates have said the same thing. But, in the end, we are human beings, which means we are not infallible and are capable of all sorts of things we'd never thought we'd entertain. And, anyhow, there is such a thing as situational ethics.

So, why am I seemingly making an argument for cheating? Am I about to admit something startling? Sorry, but no. I don't plan on cheating on Mara, even though, as I stated above, I believe we're all capable of it. Having said that, it's still a choice, and I'd like to think, if presented with the opportunity, I'd choose not to engage in that illicit act. My rule of thumb is if I find myself thinking about doing it with a certain amount of frequency, it's probably time to end the relationship. Before I do something stupid.

As I was leaving Mara's yesterday, I told her I wanted to have some time to myself today. She didn't take it too well. She asked me if I thought we were spending too much time together and I replied that I did. We'd just spent portions of almost every day that week together and with other things I needed to attend to, I barely had any time to myself, which I need. It wasn't easy telling her I didn't want to see as much of her, but I had to do it. I really like her and seeing her sad hurts me. But....well, I'll finish that thought some other time.
--
I watched a ton of Monster Quest on You tube this weekend. Specifically the Bigfoot related episodes. Good stuff. I also got to see Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science, a show I'd been dying to see for a long time. An all Bigfoot weekend.

Going to watch In Bruges tonight. I'll let you know how it was. Ok, I'm out.

No comments: