Tuesday, June 10, 2008

She said a good day ain't got no rain, she said a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been

Mara came home yesterday and I met her at the Diesel Cafe in Davis. I had just taken a long run and, after coming home and showering quickly, I was pretty hungry. And so was she. We decided to check out the new sushi place in Davis, but when we got there we saw that they were closed. From there, we went looking for a seafood place Mara had gone to a few years ago. We couldn't find it. I was starting to get irritable from lack of food and a ton of walking. Finally, we happened upon it, but it too was closed.

We passed by a little Italian place called Al Fresca and decided we'd go there if Redbones, our next choice, was too packed. It was, so we made the walk back to Al Fresca and ate there. A good place, but they had run out of beer. I hardly ever drink, but when I go out to eat, and especially when it's hot outside, I like to have a beer. Not a major disappointment, but when I heard the news, my already irritable mood became a little more irritable. Once the food came, though, I felt a lot better.

By the time we came back to my place it was almost ten o'clock. Mara went through all of her work-related emails and I worked on some songs. Then we went to bed. I stayed awake and finished The Last Argument of Kings, the final installment in Joe Abercrombie's trilogy. It kept me up until one. I finally drifted off to sleep around two--- my mind was thick with the book's conclusion---and managed to get a few hours of sleep before my air conditioner started making crackling, fire place-like sounds and emitting warm air. It seems like every time Mara stays over, I don't get enough sleep. I should probably dump her.

She's been talking about taking me home to Brooklyn to meet her family and I'm a little trepidatious (by the way, there is a debate over whether that is an actual word. Check it out, if you don't believe me) over the prospect, mostly because it seems as though I'll be walking into a Meet The Parents type situation. And there are other concerns I'll not go into quite yet. It probably wouldn't be that bad, it's just not something I'm looking forward to.

Ok, off to get ready for the Celtics game. The C's almost pulled off the biggest choke in NBA history the other night when they let the Lakers come back from a twenty four point deficit. I hope they won't treat them so lightly this time around. I predict a Lakers victory tonight, mostly because the refs will officiate the game in favor of the home team. We'll see.

No comments: