Monday, June 16, 2008

Ooh wee, ride me high, tomorrow's the day my bride's gonna come

I was just looking at a letter I received from the Unemployment Agency to see what time on Friday I was scheduled to attend the career counseling counseling seminar they make you attend as a condition of receiving benefits. I discovered that I had to take a class by Friday and not necessarily on Friday. And, I read, I had to schedule a time as soon as possible because the classes fill up quickly. I knew all this--I had to attend a seminar a couple of years ago-- but somehow failed to remember those pertinent details.

I called to sign up and discovered that the only class available this week is tomorrow morning at ten. Fuck! I had to book it, otherwise I'd be in danger of forfeiting my benefits. Now, I'll have to miss some work tomorrow. I'm not thrilled about this new development, but I'm glad I called when I did.
--

Mara and I went to Atwoods, a nice, upscale little bar in Cambridge, on Saturday night to see her friend Alistair play. The place was near empty when we got there, which was a little odd considering it was a Saturday night. It was too bad, because Alistair was playing with some serious musicians, one of which was a guitar player in Lori Mckenna's band.

At one point, between songs, a girl walked up to the stage and asked Alistair if he wouldn't mind playing some hip-hop for her and her friends. It was a bizarre request to make. A quartet of guys in their late thirties playing mandolin, acoustic guitar, upright bass, and banjo, pulling off anything close to hip-hop would have been a miracle of the highest order. I tried imagining what it would have sounded like, them whipping out a few Jay Z joints and, as fertile as my imagination is, I just couldn't do it. At first, I thought this girl must have been drunk, but she looked quite sober. I heard she once went to a Celtics game and asked the players if they wouldn't mind making it a baseball game instead.
--

I watched Margot At the Wedding last night. Really good film. It was by Noah Baumbach, the guy who wrote and directed The Squid and The Whale. He has such a way with dialog and the acting was top notch. After I'm done with this, I'm going to finish watching Persona, which, so far, is deep and engrossing. Just like me.

No comments: