Monday, March 3, 2008

We teach old hearts to rest

I watched Zodiac last night. It was close to three hours long, and I barely noticed. It's been a long stretch, which has encompassed more than a few great films, since I've been this attentive throughout one. I'd done enough research into the film to feel pretty confident that I'd enjoy it, but it surpassed my expectations. The best way for me to put it into perspective is to note that the last film over two hours long that swallowed me so completely in its embrace was Seven Samurai. If you've been keeping tabs in this journal, you'd know I consider that film to be one of, if not the, all time best. I'm sure someday I'll come back to this entry and scoff at my bold statement about Zodiac .
--
I just spent about a half hour relaxing my body and mind. I found myself starting to worry about a thing or two outside of my control and decided I didn't like where things seemed to be headed, so I did some breathing exercises and some Tai-chi inspired moves. I felt markedly better afterward, and continued the theme of relaxation by taking a nice, hot shower. A nice victory over crippling thoughts.

I'm going to end this as I listen to one of the most gorgeous songs ever: Leonard Cohen's Joan of Arc. I plan on getting some quality reading done and later I'll watch In the Valley of Elah.

Cheers.

No comments: