Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Slow gin fizzy, do me 'til I'm dizzy

When my alarm's clipped shriek forced me awake this morning, I hurriedly got out of bed and got dressed before the impulse to stay put got the better of me. Mornings, especially the first of a new week's work cycle, are always a drag. And it's not so much work itself, but a host of other things, that treated individually are minor enough to bear, but when they clamor for my attention like hatched chicks, present a formidable assault. I sometimes feel that I'm at a place in my life right now where the sour has bullied the sweet right out of the room. Ah, but it'll return. Right? I mean, the odds would favor such a thing happening, no? Let's hope. Hope is what gets us through.


I don't mean to sound like a downer. It's just...well, it's life and it's not always rosy, so I'll honor that and, you know, if I sometimes sound like a depressed lout, I'll live with that. Anyway, if I was merry all the time, you'd all want to gut me out of sheer jealousy.

I just heard from my dad. He spent all night in the hospital with my grandmother. She's suffering through constant back spasms now and no amount of morphine has been able to dull the pain. My dad doesn't think she's going to last much longer. I didn't like hearing that, but I like even less the fact that she's in constant agony.
--

In spite of it all, I had a pretty decent day today. I brought sushi home for dinner and watched a couple of episodes of Lost online. I've been catching up after not having watched it since the first season. Soon, I'll be able to dish about the latest the episode with my geeky friends and family who are hooked on the show. It's still not as good as practically any show that HBO has produced over the last few years, but it's still damn good. I only wish they didn't make a punch to the face sound like a battering ram crashing into a steel door. I hate it when TV shows and movies do that. A punch to the face should sound like a punch to the face. Know what I mean? Ah, you don't care. Anyway, I've been watching Lost.
--
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go work on a couple of songs and then read from Before They Are Hanged, Joe Abercrombie's brilliant new book that already has me lamenting the wait until the next installment is published and I'm only halfway through it.

No comments: