Saturday, March 29, 2008

Good day sunshine

Luke Warm and I made the trip to Salem last night to watch Spira play. When we arrived, the band was already playing. We saw a couple of Spira's coworkers and sat with them. From our vantage point, which was off to the right of the stage, I couldn't see Spira, who for the first fifteen minutes or so after our arrival, I'd assumed wasn't playing yet. It took Luke Warm to inform me that she was tucked away in the corner. She played great; it was nice seeing her with a band again.

It was a bittersweet night, though, for Luke Warm and me. The Celtics were playing the Bobcats, the only team they hadn't beaten. When we left for the club, they were neck in neck. It looked like we were going to miss a great game. When I found out later that the C's had won, and that it was a tight game, I put my fist through the TV and cursed Spira and her stupid rock show. Ok, I'm fibbing---I didn't do that to the TV.
--
Murph was at the house last night hanging out with Rich. When I saw him, I laughed. I didn't intend to, but for some reason his outfit, an ensemble that consisted of loose-fitting stone washed jeans, loafers, and a foliage-colored camouflage polo shirt, set me off. I guess it was more the way he carried it than anything else. He's an interesting looking guy, what can I say. So, you're probably waiting for me to describe him, and I guess I should, so here goes.

He's short and a little stocky, has an angular, yet fleshy face, a moustache, and white, feathered hair that he keeps close to the scalp with mousse or possibly gel. And every inch of his frame is dripping with sexuality. Though I consider myself a staunch hetero, I often have to fight back the urge to drag my tongue across his pasty flesh. He's so fucking hot, I .........ok, even as a gag I can't go any further with this. No disrespect intended, Murph, but I'm not attracted to you. I'm sorry, my friend, but that is the cold, hard, truth. Go gentle into that good night, my sweet little lamb, and forget about me, about us.
--
I've discovered a bunch of various podcasts online concerning the paranormal, Bigfoot, etc. Great stuff, except the sound quality is usually poor. I'll often listen to shows in bed at night and fall asleep at some point only to be brutally ripped from my slumber by a dramatic spike in the broadcast's volume. Either the voices being transmitted are too quiet or, as I just described, too loud. It's still worth it for me, though. Last night I listened to a great interview with an old school Bigfoot researcher. He was a great story teller and I was captivated for a long while before I finally succumbed to sleep. And, of course, about an hour later I was brutally ripped from my slumber by a dramatic spike in the broadcast's volume.
--
My dad called me about an hour ago. I answered the phone with a certain measure of apprehension. I suspected he was calling about my grandmother, and these days a call concerning my grandmother warrants apprehension.

He didn't make it easy for me, my father. Here's what he said as close to verbatim as I can make it. I've included my commentary in parenthesis.

Dad: Hey, Kev. Just wanted to call you with.....ah, so Uncle Dick flew in yesterday and was with Nana at the hospital when she had her procedure. I showed up a little later and uh....and Maureen showed up a little after that. She wanted to run some errands first and then she had to call Megan (get to the point, please) and then she came by at......I don't know......maybe around three. Well, Nana had the procedure and it seemed like it went well (just fucking tell me if she's alive) and then Dick stepped out for a bit with me while Nana was recovering. (he's saying all this slowly, like he's trying to put off telling me some bad news) And then, while we were out, Maureen went to check on Nana and, well....(just fucking say it!) she looked pretty good. And then I went home for a while and Dick and Maureen stayed at the hospital. Oh, and Brian went to the hospital to see Nana. And then......(lots more small talk). So, I guess she's doing pretty well.

Obviously, I was expecting some pretty bad news. The fact that he got around to the news that she appeared to be recovering well from her surgery after a lot of inessential small talk is par for the course with him. It's just the way he is and I don't fault him for it. What's frustrating is that, if she had died, he would have preceded the news with the same amount of small talk. Needless to say, I was relieved at the end of the conversation.
--
A friend of mine expressed interest in dating someone significantly older than him. I was surprised to hear it; not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I was in the same room with the two of them and I wouldn't have guessed, not in a ton of years, that he was interested in this person. After thinking about it, I could see it working out, or at least being worth a shot. I hope he acts on this.
--
As for me, I recently discovered that someone of the fairer sex had left me a couple of comments a few posts back. Feel free, if you're curious, to scroll down and check 'em out. Apparently, I sound sexy to this woman and I think I owe it to myself to make a love connection with her. What do you think? Hell, if we become a couple, you won't have to read anymore about "her". Unless, of course,the nature of my new relationship is casual and allows for expressions of unrequited love. I'll have to ask about that. In the meantime, if it doesn't work with my new lady friend, there's always Murph, who could never claim to be bringing sexy back, because---and this is the absolute truth---it never left him in the first place. Oooohh yeahhhh!!

No comments: