Sunday, July 1, 2007

Had a friend, she once told me, "you got love you ain't lonely"

I had my first surprise birthday party last night. Well, sort of. Kreg and I showed up at Luke Warm's house well after his roommate Peppy was supposed to have been surprised by his friends and family. We entered the house, me first, and a room full of people screamed surprise in my face, blew on noisemakers, and sprayed me with copious amounts of silly string. Several things went through my mind, in this order: 1. Peppy had already been surprised, but the revelers thought it would be a silly little prank to provide the same service for all subsequent entries into the house 2. This was in fact my surprise party 3. They thought I was Peppy.

I immediately discounted option three because I was in a brightly-lit room and only two or three feet from everyone. If they couldn't figure out I wasn't Peppy, then Peppy should consider getting some new friends and family. Peppy and I look fairly alike, but we are far from being identical.

The notion that the party was being thrown in my honor had some weight to it. My birthday is only a few days away, so the timing was about right for a party in my honor. It occurred to me when I didn't recognize most of the people, that perhaps I'd run out of the amount of friends required to qualify for a party and the planners had to hire people to fill in the gaps. I continued to believe the party was for me, though, because, as I stated before, everyone kept yelling "surprise" well after the point it should have been apparent that I was not Peppy.

But the truth of the matter was they thought I was Peppy. His close friends, coworkers, his sister---they all were convinced I was him. After loads of apologies and laughter, everyone regrouped and issued the real Peppy a hearty surprise. Mine was better.

So, no birthday party for me, though there was a surprise. Too bad, because a huge amount of kudos would have gone out to the organizers. As Kreg pointed out, there would have been such a veil of secrecy surrounding the event that even he, the guy who brought me there, wasn't privy to the truth.

It was a fun party. I played with Michael's insane cat, drank some Carlsbergs, met a buxom girl who really, really, really liked pot, attempted to watch "Battle at Kruger" on Youtube with a few people, and other stuff that one could label as being enjoyable.

Now, I'm off to Trader Joe's with Luke Warm. We'll probably go to Old Navy afterwards. Maybe I'll be able to convince him to shop for curtains with me. Nothing like an emasculating activity to start off the week.

No comments: