Sunday, July 29, 2007

Columnated ruins domino

August is Bob TV's last month in our apartment. He just gave his two weeks notice at his job, one he's been at for the last seven years, and will be moving in with his mother in Nashville, so he can save money; ostensibly for film school, but I'm not completely sure. I won't miss his neediness and poor hygiene, nor will I miss his total disregard for cleaning the house. Having said that, there are aspects of Bob TV, like his easygoing manner and intelligence, that I will lament the passing of, and knowing that I probably won't ever see him again adds a little weight to his leaving.

Kreg will be our new house mate and I'm confident he will be a good fit. I've lived with him before and it worked out well, as I suspect it will this time around. It will be good living with an old friend again.

My legs are adapting to the stress running places on them, and I'm pleased to report that, after this morning's run, my gait doesn't mimic a nursing home resident's, like it has in days prior. I'm quite mobile---a little sore, but mobile---and I'm hoping this trend continues.

Running is as much a psychological challenge as much as it is a physical one. With the heart racing and the lungs burning, the mind seeks a return to comfort (this is before one enters the "zone", when the experience becomes more meditative and vivid, and thus tolerable). Many times during a run, my mind tries to negotiate a cessation of the act by broadcasting thoughts such as "Your heart can't take this much abuse; you better stop"and"Better not to push it; walking the rest of the way will serve the same purpose". And when that fails to work, my mind pulls out the big guns, inserting visuals in my head, like the one I had the other day where I imagined myself collapsing a ways up the bike path and strangers rushing over help me. I laughed in the face of the image; it's glamour had no hold over me. I'm proud to say I've overcome all of the mental hurdles that have come my way, and I have to think that in some way I'm stronger because of it. Still, I'd prefer smoother sailing.

I've figured out a way to have my cake and eat it, too at Shaw's. I'm a fan of the place in every way except for their prices. I've never gotten a Shaw's card because I haven't shopped there enough to justify getting one. Of late, though, I've been going there more, but still I resist getting a card, and the reason is because I don't need one. I discovered that when I reply "I do, but I left it at home" when the cashier asks me if I have a Shaw's card, they give me the discount anyway. This has worked for me twice now and I don't feel at all bad about my ruse; I'm fairly certain I'm not going to put them out of business.

Off to work on some music. I'm hoping my guitar is ready soon, so I can begin rehearsing for my upcoming shows in earnest.

No comments: