Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And someone saved my life tonight, sugar bear

I get the feeling that my writing here resembles too much that of a smart ass, know-it-all high school sophomore, barely out of his swaddling clothes. When I occasion to review past entries I'm indeed left with that impression. I hope to shed that skin someday. Ah, maybe I'm just being a prick to my past efforts. It happens.

I've experienced a set back of sorts recently that, though typical of the pattern that's weaved itself into my life over the last, I don't know, ten to fifteen years, surprised and then dosed me with a spell of melancholia. Yes, it concerns a female and, to quote Mr. Gump, that's all I'd like to say about that. Fret not, dear readers, I'm functioning quite well despite the set back and will, despite my utter frustration over my shit luck, venture forth with head held high. Fuck, yes!

Who can succumb to the grief inherent in being utterly overlooked as a potential mate when there are the films of Alejandro Jodorowsky to experience. After waiting years for El Topo, the surreal western, to come out on dvd, I was, as I mentioned in a previous post, rewarded for my patience. I watched the film twice; once by my one-zies and once with Luke Warm. I could watch it again, but that would prevent me from watching his other films.

To cheer myself up, I traded in some dvds at Newbury Comics and purchased a box set of Jodorowsky's early films. The set includes three features, including El Topo, and the soundtracks of said film and The Holy Mountain, both of which Jodorowsky scored, on cd. For forty bucks, the set is a steal.

Tonight, I will watch The Holy Mountain, his next film after El Topo. I'm excited to watch it because it's considered by many to be his masterpiece. Jodorowsky set out to make a film, much like El Topo, that spoke in the language of symbols the spiritual path. To prepare for the film, he put himself and his crew through a month long regimen of spiritual practices, including deep meditation and shamanistic journeys aided by hallucinogenics. I'm not sure if that last bit is entirely true, given the fact that Jodorowsky claims he never really did drugs, even though his films would suggest otherwise. I could go on and on about the man; he truly has drank deeply from the well of life. In addition to being a filmmaker, Jodorowsky is recognized as one of the world's leading researchers of the Tarot; a playwright; an author of novels and comic books, a practitioner of almost every spiritual path under the sun; a lecturer; and musician.

Presently, a cool shower beckons and I must heed it's call.

No comments: