Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Oh! You Pretty Things

Lots of writing, lots of yoga, lots of meditating. No wonder I've been feeling good. I've been researching sensory deprivation tanks and will probably visit one in the coming days. Without taking any psychedelics, I'll be able to trip my balls off. Of course, my intent is purely educational - I'm not looking for kicks. Rae is on board, possibly Spira. Any other takers? Will cost about fifty smackers for an hour in the tank. I'll have to save up.

If you don't know anything about sensory deprivation tanks, the idea is this: you climb into a tank of water that's the same temperature as your skin and packed with epsom salt so you become extremely buoyant, put in a pair of ear plugs, and close the lid to the tank. Once that's accomplished, you're bereft of your senses. It's pitch black, you can't hear a thing, and you feel like you're floating in the cosmos. The ego can't function here and what's left is some deep meditation. Very therapeutic, I hear, and quite a trip.
-
It's safe to say I'm fine with my decision to not go camping. It's Wednesday, and everyone who went is still stuck in Vermont due to the damage caused by Irene. Man, of all the weekends to go....

I can see how their prolonged stay could be a good thing. If they had shitty weather leading up to the storm and they came home the day of the storm or soon after, a good chunk of their trip would have been less than ideal weather-wise. I have it on good authority that, despite being stuck where they are, the weather has improved greatly, which means they're finally experiencing ideal conditions. Plus, when nature makes it impossible for you to get back to the "real" world, you can really relax into your situation, guilt free. Really? I get to camp with my friends a few more days and not have to go to work?

I don't know their situation. I'm assuming they're camping out, but for all I know, their tents were destroyed during the storm and they've been sleeping in some farmer's hay loft. And, while getting to extend your vacation is a cool concept, they're still missing out on getting paid. So, of course it could be a shitty time. I'm guessing the trip has had its ups and downs. The sweet and the sour. Craig and I had talked about an autumn camping trip. If I were a betting man, I'd wager he might not be up for that trip.

I spent several hours working on lyrics for a song that doesn't require many. I'm impressed with my discipline in this regard; while I'm usually more or less satisfied with the final product, writing lyrics is often a chore for me. I didn't finish the song - I hope to tonight - but I made some headway. I should go listen to Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan for inspiration. Or go the Chris Cornell route: he's said in the past that when he's uninspired, he'll pull out the CD booklet of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica and read the lyrics. Maybe I'll follow suit. Anyway, this song is one I really like, with some of my favorite harmonies. They remind me of Joni Mitchell.

Re-reading John Keel's Mothman Prophecies. Fuckin' good book! I'm also back to my Wheel of Time re-read. Just about finished The Shadow Rising. Only about eight more massive books until I'm caught up.

I'm out, bitches!

No comments: