Sunday, August 14, 2011

El Arbol del Olvido

An active weekend. I came home from work on Friday feeling a little beaten and defeated. My week had been a series of punches and jabs and by the end of it I was about ready to throw in the towel. But I made it, and was invigorated by friends and my own pure heart that heals faster and more efficiently than the average heart. Or something like that.

I had planned to do little on Friday night. I had been recording throughout the week, and I was eager to get back at it. Plus, the week had sapped me of energy and resourcefulness; I wasn't feeling very ambitious as far as social pursuits went.

When I got home, I hung out with Rae a little bit and my mood brightened. She invited me to attend Shakespeare In The Park at the Boston Common, but I declined because it would have entailed me leaving at that moment and I still hadn't eaten.

Later, I sat down for some recording and was fairly productive. I talked with Craig on the phone for a little bit and then Fred invited me to come outside and partake in the barbecue he and some friends were having. I accepted. Hey, when someone offers you beer and burgers and steak and beer and bratwurst and beer and hot dogs and chips and beer and corn on the cob and potato salad, you cannot say no. It's in the Constitution somewhere. Ah, but these days the Constitution has as much value as a coffee-stained diner napkin (Like how I injected a bit of politics? Huh? Pretty cool, that, no?)

I did join the festivities, but only briefly. Foley had called after I spoke with Fred and I ended up walking over to his house. We had some beers and smoke and listened to and talked about music, among other things. He played me some stuff he'd been recording with Scott, which was impressive, and then we talked about the flexible nature of time and how to use it to your advantage. And then...well, it was getting late so I walked home.

Yesterday, I recorded, watched Mad Men, read, and then headed over to Spira's. When I got there, we stopped over Jonathan and Viboo's place for some authentic Indian chai and conversation. I'd met them before and liked them right away. Until I found out they were....gay! Nah, it was cool hanging out with a gay couple because I rarely get to do so. Also in attendance was their friend, Becca, who had just returned from living in England for several years.

We went for dinner at Life Alive, a fantastic and ultra-affordable vegan restaurant in Cambridge. I got a dish called The Emperor that consisted of corn, broccoli, raw almonds, whey, avocado, beans, and cheddar cheese, over brown rice and drizzled with soy sauce. We stayed there for a couple of hours. And the music they played was top of the shelf. We heard Sufjan Stevens, God Speed You Black Emperor, Tom Waits, and a bunch of other stuff that made me feel all warm inside.

It was a great time and I liked meeting Becca. I might hunt her down on Facebook. We'll see. After dinner, Spira and I went back to her place and watched Enter The Void. I came home around one thirty and listened to a Ted Gunderson interview, falling asleep midway through.

Today. I might finish A Dance With Dragons. I'm on the last chapter and am a little hesitant about finishing it because I know I'll probably have to wait another five or six years for the next installment. By that time, Michelle Bachman will probably be President (Yes, it's possible - our dumb-ass citizens gave W. two terms, after all).

And some recording will probably happen. Who knows? The day is a blank slate.

No comments: