Sunday, August 7, 2011

But if you stay, I'll make you a day, like no day has been

I could have slept past noon, I think, but I felt I would have regretted that outcome and summoned the will to depart my bed around eleven. I was having vivid dreams all morning; two I remember.

The first involved the police being at my house for a reason never revealed. A young female officer was in charge of watching over me while other matters were settled. Our relationship deepened rapidly and we were practically in love by the time they left.There were several odd comedic moments when she would threaten to arrest me and I would just gaze lovingly in her eyes like a dopey pup, swooning through her authority over me.

I think this dream may have been generated from my offhand comment to Craig last night about not being terribly adverse to the idea of a girlfriend who takes a hand in my affairs and makes sure I don't stray from my commitments. I included the caveat that said role would have to be tempered because that could get old fast, but it never hurts to accept a little guidance, particularly when your own has not often enough guided you true.

The other dream was an exercise in frustration. I was at a party in New Hampshire. It was late afternoon and I was having a swell ol' time. Shane announced to everyone that someone had to go pick up some recording equipment he left at the place he was at before the party. He couldn't go, he said, because he was too drunk. He looked at me. "You're the only one who's sober enough to do it", he said.

Begrudgingly, I said I'd go. I didn't want to leave the party, but I didn't want to be an asshole, either. "Where am I going?", I asked Shane. He handed me a sheet of paper with the address written on it. I studied it with dismay."Oh, North Attleboro." I had a trip ahead of me. I thought about whether I should pack a bag.

Some guy, probably an amalgam of different friends, said he'd join me for the ride after everyone else refused. We got in the car and I inserted our destination into my GPS. At least I tried to. For some reason, the usually simple procedure, had become complicated. I was irate. Round trip, the ride was going to be three hours and I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. I could hear my friends in the house singing and laughing as I grew more and more frustrated with my GPS.

And then I woke up. Good thing, because that dream was a drag.

Craig came by last night and we paid a visit to Soundbites, where Craig ate a late dinner and I contented myself with a snack of falafel. Afterward, we retired to my porch and drank beers in the breezy night air.

Yesterday, I watched a couple of episodes of Mad Men. I got weepy at the end of one of them. Don had lost his only true friend. The show is so effin good. I will watch more today.

Scott IM'd me yesterday from Hungary, where he's planning out his wedding with his fiancee, Ezter. We talked about making music upon his return. In the meantime, I've got to figure out how to convert some of the songs I've recorded to mp3s so I can send him some.

Today could be the day I finish A Dance With Dragons. If I do, it will be bittersweet, to be sure. Or maybe I'll just go back to bed and dream away the day.

No comments: