Thursday, September 1, 2011

Well, I'm on till the crack of dawn

A couple of weeks ago I had a dream in which my boss, Jeff, let us know that business was slower than it ever had been. Bad news, to be sure. I anticipated his next words to be something along the lines of us all losing our jobs. Instead, he spoke of a plan which would enable us to work more. I awoke from the dream and quickly forgot most of its contents. Because it didn't make much sense, I didn't invest any time in trying to plumb its depths. However....

I didn't forget the fact that the last time Jeff told us of the companies woes, I somehow knew beforehand what was going to happen. The other day Jeff called us in his office and told us matter-of-factly we're basically dead in the water as a company. Not good. But then he said his firm was going to start giving us business (Jeff has a law firm he runs separately in the same office space). By doing so, he'd be able to give us work while freeing up time for him to generate business for us. Sharon asked if this meant we might be able to work more hours. He replied that it was more than possible.

Am I tuned in to the work vibe or what?

I'll be joining Foley for some coffee soon at the Diesel Cafe. It's arguably the hippest coffee joint in the city, but I'm no big fan. Look at that: Foley just texted me in the middle of that sentence. He wrote: "Having a good time at Diesel talking to a cardboard cutout of you." Hmm....I'll have to go investigate.

Ok, it's now the following day. I ended up meeting with Foley for coffee, then we hit the liquor store and ventured over to my place for drinks, smoke, music, and conversation. My intention had been to hang out for a bit with him and then do some recording, but it ran late. That guy corrupted me, I tells ya.

I played him some Rufus Wainwright. We had been discussing our favorite song writers and I told him Rufus is one of the best I've ever heard. He said he'd never heard him, so I put on "Who are you, New York?". He listened a bit and then exclaimed, "This is some of the shittiest, tuneless, music I've ever heard." If it wasn't for my pure heart, I would have rushed outside, constructed a noose, and hanged that son of a bitch. Tuneless? Say what you want about Rufus, but he couldn't be tuneless if he tried. Oh, child Foley, you know not of what you speak.

Had a busy day at work. Jeff has had me setting up closing packages, which entails sorting through a welter of legal documents and putting them in their proper place. It was a crash course, but I maintained like a champ, son!

Our wayward campers haven't returned yet as far as I know. Mark called Craig's dad yesterday and found out they were still marooned in Vermont. Man, they must be ripe. I bet they're having fantasies about taking a hot shower. If you're back, welcome home! Sorry you had to go through that, but maybe it was a grand ol' time. Hope it was.

I think I'm evolving. Really, I think I'm expanding as an organism. As I said before, I've been meditating, practicing yoga, and engaging in all sorts of other consciousness-expanding activities. Well, maybe not all sorts, but I've been living right in that regard. Good thing, too, because this ship we call civilization is sinking. The question is, will we come out the other side better off? I think that we will.

2012 is upon us, bitches. Time for a reckoning.




No comments: