Monday, September 5, 2011

Paint the black hole blacker

A nice weekend, though it's always a little sad saying goodbye to summer. Sure, there will still be warm days, but we're moving quickly to fall and then.....dreaded winter. The last couple of days were muggy; I won't miss that weather condition.

On Saturday, I attended a dinner party at Spira's. On hand were Pat and Allie, a guy named Ramon Spira had been on a couple of dates with, and everyone's favorite greyhound, Missy. We ate lobster, cornbread, fried yuka, and a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, beets, and other stuff I'm too lazy to recall. Good times.

Last night, I Craig stopped by for a bit. We walked into Davis Sq. so he could get some dinner and then we headed back to my place. We listened to music and played with action figures.

This morning, I went to the laundromat. While I was waiting for my clothes to wash, I admired a very attractive woman who was putting clothes in the dryer. She sat near me and pulled out a book that looked familiar. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was Martin's A Dance With Dragons.

It wasn't long before we were talking about the series. Upon a friend's recommendation, she started reading the books a few weeks ago and devoured them. She had finished A Feast For Crows last night and was eager to get to the new one today.

We talked for at least an hour. At one point, a guy sitting to my right chimed in about the series. He was a big fan, too. I can't tell you how satisfying it was to talk shop with other people. In the past, I had no one to share the experience with. I had no one to share the many "No fucking way!" moments that grace the books. It wasn't until recently that things have changed. The HBO show helped a lot. I was thrilled when Janelle started reading the books.

I never learned the name of the woman at the laundromat. At one point in our conversation she got up and took her clothes out of the dryer and then got involved with other tasks. I hung around for a couple of minutes hoping she'd come back over to the seats so I could tell her I appreciated the conversation before heading out, but the opportunity never presented itself.

I just watched Buried, a cool movie about a guy who wakes up in a coffin. He has no idea how he got there. Whoever abducted him, left a cell phone near him so they could keep in touch. The entire movie takes place in the coffin. Engrossing.

Ok, I need to go. I'm back from having a beer with Fred and his sister and it's later than I thought. The new week is upon us. Will it be a fine one. Yes, by my decree it will be.


No comments: