Sunday, September 25, 2011

Great are the sounds of all that live, and all that man can hold

Just woke from a nap. I got plenty of sleep last night and didn't do too much today, but I felt a nap was necessary. Contributing factors: 1. A mild, yet pervasive, hangover 2. The muggy late September weather (!) 3. I didn't sleep too well last night because of said weather and the inescapable fact that I was rather drunk.

Scott and Ester's wedding was yesterday. As far as wedding's go, it was one of the best I've been to, mostly because many of my favorite people in the world were in attendance, but also because it focused more on the love of two people (which is apparent to anyone with a set of functioning eyes), rather than obeying the forms of society. In other words, it wasn't your typical wedding.

The ceremony was at Scott's place up in Deerfield, NH. Leading up to yesterday, I'd heard the forecast was calling for a lot of rain. Well, not only did the rain hold off, the sun came out right before the ceremony. It was muggy, though. We were a sweaty lot that emerged from the barn where most of the ceremony took place.

A couple of days back, Scott had asked if I'd supply some guitar music as people took their positions before the ceremony began. I obliged happily. I set up in the loft, a great vantage point, but one not ideal for staying cool. I hear it sounded okay. I'll wait until the reviews come out before I believe it.

The reception was at the Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry. After dinner, which was the product of people chipping in (Janelle's mini quiches made me smile from neck to nuts. Wait a minute, that's not how that goes. Take two: Her mini quiches made me smile from ear to ear. That's better), a number of us took turns performing. Great stage set up and sound at this place; a joy to play there.

I expected to play only a couple of songs, but at one point, as I deep in the drink, Nikki approached me and told me I was up next. So I got up and quickly figured out a couple of songs I could pull off without fumbling through them too noticeably. I think I did a passable job, as unprepared and buzzed as I was.

After the musicians finished up, someone plugged in their iPod and several of us hit the dance floor. It's funny, I usually want nothing to do with dancing. I like watching it, whether its ballet or tango, but I've never been much into taking part myself. If you were to come up to me some time this week and say, "Hey, Kevin, we're going out dancing this weekend. Want to go?", I would decline even if the alternative was sitting at home peeling dead skin off my feet. If I'm with certain people, however, I'll always end up on the dance floor, an unabashed goof. And if Rachael is involved in any way, it's just about guaranteed I'll be out there. She is a true party animal. It's in her DNA.

I've said it before, but I'm so lucky I have the friends that I do. Most of them have been in my life so long that to call them family wouldn't be overselling it. Not at all. I do consider them my family, except this one was chosen and not one I was born into. If I ever get married (at this point it's dubious, but life has its surprises), it will be an honor to do so in front of these fine people.

Yesterday, when I was getting ready, I searched in vain for my iron. The clothes I was planning to wear were wrinkled and needed some TLC. I strongly suspected early on in my search that Fred, who had left a couple of days before to attend a wedding in New York, had taken it with him. He had also taken my shaving cream. I will have to have a talk with him about absconding with my property, among other things. He also needs to be alerted to the fact that he's a slob.

Went over to Trader Joe's this morning for a few groceries and then stopped over to Newbury Comics and picked up Midlake's The Courage of Others and St. Vincent's latest, "Strange Mercy". It had been months since I purchased new music and only did so today because I really, really dig those albums. Yes, money is as tight as a drum, but sometimes you have to purchase a couple of CD's .

Rae and I hung out for a while when I came home from work on Friday. The conversation got interesting and....well, let's just leave it at that. No, we didn't talk about you, so don't get all paranoid.

The night isn't so young any longer. Must wrap this up and move on to other things. I may do some recording, I may watch an episode of Breaking Bad (I'm four episodes in and I'm still not sure if I thing it's more than slightly above average) or Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, read from and perhaps finish Hamlet, or put the headphones on and listen to some music. Or maybe I'll do all of these things. If so, I better get started.

Peace.

No comments: