Sunday, February 7, 2010

She's a star reflector

It's Super Bowl Sunday and, unlike most Americans, I will miss the game. I may watch a little, but this holiday, and holiday is what it is, doesn't appeal to me very much. When I was younger, I was into it, but that was long ago. I'm not about the ads, I'm not about the fourteen hour pre-game show, I'm not about the wanton excess (behind Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday is when people eat an excessive amount of unhealthy food), and I'm not so much about the game. Instead, I may work on music, do some yoga, read from Carrion Comfort, or watch the rest of Herzog's Nosferatu that I started watching around three o'clock this morning.

Last night, Mara and I ate at an odd Japanese restaurant in Medford called Yoki. Rather than the tranquil, understated environment we were accustomed to with other Japanese restaurants, this one featured techno music pumping through the speakers, Fox News on one gargantuan monitor, and ESPN on another. The food was pretty good, but conversation was difficult with the loud music. For the first time in my life, I almost asked the waitress for the music to be turned down. Am I starting to act like a senior citizen? Is that what it is? I'll have to monitor my behavior; if I find myself at a restaurant asking to be moved to another table without a draft, I'll know something's wrong.

We intended to see Spira's art exhibit in Union Square, but we got a late start and dinner took longer than we thought it would, so we ended up going back to Mara's place and watching some 30 Rock. It was a quiet night, not eventful at all.

Foley asked me if Mara and were seeing each other again.There's a lot of that going around, but not with me. I told him no. Although I enjoy hanging out with her every so often, I don't see us ever being a couple. It's more apparent than ever. I'll never say never to anything, but I don't see it happening.

Had a weird day today. Felt out of whack. Part of it had to do with a conversation I had with my mother. Wasn't bad, but some things she said bothered me a little bit. I got over it, but it affected the sheen of my day a bit.

I downloaded the game Centipede, one of my favorites as a kid, to my phone the other day. It cost a few bucks, but I figured it was worth it seeing how I'm always waiting for my number to be called at the registries. A lot of sitting around. May as well play Centipede.

In the spirit of things, I downloaded a flash version of Pacman on my computer. What an ingenious game. Simple, but ingenious. Yeah, I've been playing it quite a bit. Gotta problem with that?

Ok, I'm off. Where did the weekend go?

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh Kevin you know that you are an old coot didn't I already make that abundantly clear to you? :o?

I must agree however about the loud music in restaurants...I enjoy having a good conversation with the person I'm dining with and with music at deafening decibels this is nearly impossible. I think that the reason they have blaring music is that it is an attempt to convey a more hip and cool "must be at restaurant" attitude. I suspect that for the very same reasons that you have stated; it keeps the old folks away and therefore ensures a clientele, which is comprised exclusively of younger people.