Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Don't you know that you are a shooting star?

I worked a little in Boston today. When I was finished, I called Marcy to let her know. She asked me what I was going to do, meaning whether I was coming in to work or staying home in anticipation of the coming snow storm. I told her I didn't want to go in and turn right around again if the snow, like some reports said it would, came hard and fast (that's what she said), especially given the state of my car, which, sad to say, has been acting up again. No way did I want to have car troubles in the middle of a storm. So I didn't go to work. I kept waiting for the snow to hit in full force, but it never did. Oh, well. I wonder if I'll get heat for not going in. I'm not too worried about it.

After my T ride back from Boston I did a little shopping at the Galleria in Cambridge before I retrieved my car in its garage. I bought a pair of much needed shoes at Payless, where they truly do live up to their moniker. I stopped over at Borders to inspect the newly arrived and much anticipated by me paperback edition of Dan Simmon's Drood. Can't wait to read it. May be a week or two, though -- I'm only about halfway through the weighty Carrion Comfort.

I finally bought a humidifier. I had gone to Target the other night and the ones they had were too expensive (I wasn't going to spend more than thirty dollars) or the wrong type. Yesterday, on my way to Nashua, I stopped off at Walmart in Chelmsford and bought one for twenty five smackers. I love it: my room feels warmer (I'm only wearing my glasses as I write this); my guitars and plant will benefit from the moist air; the odds of me getting sick have decreased. Good stuff.

Earlier, I walked over to True Grounds, bought a white mocha latte, found a table by the window, and read from The Pathfinder, a book that teaches, nay, coaches, one in the how-to's of career choices. It's a great book so far, and covers a lot more than I described. Luke Warm had read it and sent me a copy in the mail a few years ago. A nice gesture and nice surprise. I've picked it up here and there over the ensuing years, but never dove into it. Not the book's fault, just my own procrastination derived from a fear of making substantial changes in my life. Tonight was a start. I hope I keep up with it. I believe I will.

Ok, off to work on some music, play a little PacMan (yes, I'm twelve), maybe watch Valkyrie, maybe read. Peace.

No comments: