Wednesday, February 17, 2010

If you were mine to give, I might throw it away

I woke up around four this morning in mid-thought. I don't know if I've ever done that before. Anyway, I was thinking about Mara and if I ever needed an example of how our thoughts hijack our being and run rampant, well there it was. I fell back to sleep fairly quickly, but it was a restless night.

Now that I've had several hours to adjust to the new dynamic of our relationship, I feel pretty good. I think if I still had feelings for her, I'd be in rougher shape. But I don't. No, this is more like a parent seeing his child off to college. He knows it should happen, wants it to happen, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. If I was fond of words that begin with the letter b, I would say the situation is bittersweet.

Going to watch Almost Famous with Janelle tonight. She's never seen it. It resonates with me on a pretty deep level. It has to do with my introduction to music, a truly sublime experience I never fully thanked my sister for. Just like in the movie, my sister turned me on to some amazing music when I was young. I was never the same. Hours and hours and hours of listening to Led Zeppelin, Heart, The Kinks, Boston, Jethro Tull, Yes, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, The Doors, etc. Man, I was lucky. My sister listens to the likes of Josh Groban now. Go figure.

We all change.

1 comment:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

My oldest brother made us little ones a mixed tape once with Three Dog Night, John Mellencamp, Credence Clear Water Revival, Steppin wolf, Steve Miller, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens,Boston, Aerosmith, and The Beatles. Im sure my parents were tickled pink over it but to this day these are still my favorites. Got to love the sibling influences and thank GOD they had good taste. ;)